Score the dorms at Colorado State University

There are 11 active residence halls on the Colorado State University campus.

The Collegian scored the dorms on a scale of 1 to 10 using four factors: types of rooms offered, distance and location, dining hall availability and perks and incentives.

Rooms with private bathrooms received higher scores than the standard halls.

Residence halls within a 5-minute walk of academic buildings were scored higher than dorms located on a far corners of campus.

Dorms without dining halls or parking received deductions, while those with outdoor activity spaces and parking received bonuses.

Halls that house academic learning communities were scored higher for encouraging community involvement.

Academic Village features an outdoor commons area along with Rams Horn & Rams Horn Express, open until 1:00 a.m. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Academic Village 9/10

Types of Rooms: 9/10

Offers double and single rooms with private bathrooms and double rooms in a quad.

Distance and Location: 7/10

A trip to the Student Recreation Center will only take a few minutes, but if you are trying to get to The Oval or off campus shopping, it might be more efficient to bike.

Dining Hall: 10/10

Rams Horn at Academic Village gives students an extensive selection — it is a bonus that Ram’s Horn Express is open until 1:00 a.m.

Perks:  10/10

Air conditioning, parking, outdoor patio areas and Honors and Engineering Learning Communities are welcomed with open arms.

Braiden Hall features Ramwich in the dining hall and is located near academic buildings.
Braiden Hall features Ramwich in the dining hall and is located near academic buildings. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Braiden Hall 8.75/10

Types of Rooms: 9/10

Double and single suites make Braiden ideal for those who fear community bathrooms.

Distance and Location: 8/10

A short walk to the heart of campus helps keep students focused on their studies.

Dining Hall: 9/10

Braiden Late Night and the fact that you can order Ramwich online makes this dining hall fitting if your schedule is anything but normal.

Perks: 9/10

Air conditioning, parking, a spacious outdoor area and diverse communities are all incentives.

Corbett Hall is just next door to Parmelee Hall. The two dining halls connect.
Corbett Hall is just next door to Parmelee Hall. The two dining halls connect. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Corbett and Parmelee 8/10

Types of Rooms: 9/10

Double and single suites are available in these halls.

Distance and Location: 8/10

Corbett and Parmelee are directly across from the Student Recreation Center.

Dining Hall: 8/10

Both dorms have dining halls that are connected to one another; the Corbett Late Night is worth checking out.

Perks: 7/10

Parking, several key communities, outdoor recreation areas and 4th floor air conditioning make it easy to socialize.

Construction is still happening at the newly built Laurel Village.
Construction is still happening at the newly built Laurel Village. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Laurel Village 7.5/10

Types of Rooms: 8/10

Laurel Village has five different types of rooms.

Distance and Location: 7/10

The Student Recreation Center is right across the street, but if you have an early morning class on The Oval, it might be ideal to ride a bike.

Dining Hall: 8/10

Laurel Village is just east of the Durrell Center.

Perks: 7/10

A brand new building and outdoor commons area make up for the fact that there is no parking specifically for this dorm.

Allison Hall is the oldest dorm building on campus. Spoons is located in the main lobby.
Allison Hall is the oldest dorm building on campus. Spoons is located in the main lobby. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Allison Hall 7.25/10

Types of Rooms: 6/10

Double community style is the only type of room offered, but community bathrooms are a good way to meet people.

Distance and Location: 9/10

Allison is an ideal location when students want to wake up 10 minutes before your class and still be on time.

Dining Hall: 7/10

Spoons is located in the main lobby, but the limited hours and selection means relying on something else for dinner.

Perks: 7/10

Without air conditioning, limited patio space and the lack of a key community, Allison doesn’t provide much in the way of bonuses.

Durward Hall offers twelve floors of single and double community style dorm rooms.
Durward Hall offers twelve floors of single and double community style dorm rooms. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Durward and Westfall 7/10

Types of Rooms: 7.5/10

Each floor has double and single community style rooms.

Distance and Location: 6/10

The towers are located on the northwest corner of campus, which means the only place within a short walk is the Student Recreation Center.

Dining Hall: 9/10

Satisfy late night cravings on the north side of campus, because Durrell Express is open until 1:00 a.m.

Perks: 5.5/10

Plenty of parking is a bonus of living in the towers.

Summit Hall is one of the biggest dorm buildings on campus.
Summit Hall is one of the biggest dorm buildings on campus. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Summit Hall: 5.5/10

Type of Rooms: 9/10

Summit Hall has double and single suites, as well as single rooms with private bathrooms.

Distance and Location: 5/10

Living in Summit might be hard to get used to for the first few weeks. The 20-minute walk to The Oval gets old.

Dining Hall: 0/10

Ram’s Horn is the closest dining hall to Summit.

Perks: 8/10

A massive parking lot is perhaps the most appealing bonus of living in Summit.

Edwards Hall is home to the Equine Community.
Edwards Hall is home to the Equine Community. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Edwards Hall 5.25/10

Types of Rooms: 6/10

The hall has double community style rooms.

Distance and Location: 7/10

Edwards is south of the intramural fields and Student Recreation Center.

Dining Hall: 0/10

Options are limited, but most Edwards residents choose to hit up the Academic Village dining hall.

Perks: 8/10

The Equine Community makes its home here.

Newsom Hall 4.25/10

Types of Rooms: 6/10

The hall offers double community style rooms.

Newsom Hall is one of the oldest dorms on campus.
Newsom Hall is one of the oldest dorms on campus. (Photo credit: Christina Vessa)

Distance and Location: 7/10

There is a convenient and short walk to the library or student center.

Dining Hall: 0/10

There is no dining hall at Newsom. At least Braiden and Rams Horn are close.

Perks: 4/10

One bonus of living in Newsom is the parking lot just south of the building.

Ingersol Hall is closed to residents this year; offices relocated because of construction will be in this building.

Collegian Reporter Christina Vessa can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @chrissyvessa.