Flower Power Botanicals in Fort Collins Celebrates ‘420’ all April with these amazing Deals & Promotions:

In Colorado, April is always the month to celebrate, especially if you are a medical and recreational marijuana dispensary in Fort Collins. On...

A breakdown of 2014 Colorado midterm elections

This year, millions of dollars are being funneled into Colorado, where close midterm elections have the potential of making the mostly-blue Colorado a little more red.

A tight senate race against incumbent Mark Udall (D) and challenger U.S. Rep. Cory Gardner (R) is the focus for many prime donors because of Gardner’s potential to tip the majority currently held in the senate in the Republicans’ favor. According to their campaign records, Udall collected $13.7 million and Gardner received $5 million, both since June 30.

Gardner is speculated by many as a prime contender against Udall since he announced he would be vacating his current House seat in Colorado’s 4th district to run for senate. Weld County District Attorney Ken Buck, who was initially running for Senate against Udall, stepped down after Gardner’s announcement and is now the Republican Nominee for Gardner’s old seat in the 4th district where he has a substantial chance of winning.

According to a recent poll, the closely-watched senate race is tied with 44 percent for Gardner and 42 percent for Udall, with 10 percent undecided.

Read more about the two’s contrasting view points here.

Besides the close race in the senate, Gov. John Hickenlooper (D) is up for re-election this year against former U.S. Rep. Bob Beauprez (R) who previously ran for governor against Gov. Bill Ritter.

According to recent poll numbers, the race is tied with 43 percent for  Hickenlooper and 44 percent for Beauprez. One issue Hickenlooper faces moving forward is a job approval rating that has declined since early this year.

“Coloradoans seem generally optimistic about the future and confident in the state’s economy,” said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University poll. “But, that is certainly not enough to open the way for a smooth ride to re-election for Gov. John Hickenlooper.”

Collegian Reporter Skyler Leonard can be reached at news@collegian.com.