International Club helps students go Global

Members of the Global Village Residential Learning Community, a community of international and domestic students, meet outside of Parmelee Hall Monday. Global Village is just one of many programs in place at CSU to support a growing population of international students from over 80 countries around the world.
Members of the Global Village Residential Learning Community, a community of international and domestic students, meet outside of Parmelee Hall. Global Village is just one of many programs in place at CSU to support a growing population of international students from over 80 countries around the world.

Students seeking an international career engaged in conversation with John Roberts, a member of the U.S Department of State’s Foreign Service.

The small club, Global Awareness and International Affairs Club, is putting on events to bring attention to global issues. The club was founded in October.

The club has put on a panel highlighting future career options for those interested in an international career.

The career panel featured a former Peace Corp member, an individual who worked for the NGO Walk Tree Travel and other CSU alumni who have careers in an international setting, according to Jackson.

The club is comprised of a diverse group of students all hoping to get the campus community to talk about what is going on in the world at large.

“Our hopes are to get people aware of what is going on in the world,” said Kiera Jackson, the club’s president.

Every two Thursdays the club hosts international film nights for free. The club’s members carefully compile the movies to show how beautiful this world is while also opening audiences’ eyes to the struggles the world faces outside of the United States, according to James Weixelman, junior history major.

“Fort Collins is hugely diverse. The population on campus represents a full spectrum of people across the globe. This is partly because of Peace Corps being founded here and the 1960 immigration,” Weixelman said.

The club has also been hosting a radio show through KCSU to bring attention to research that has been taking place in the science field.

“We have been seeking out members of the science community who have been conducting research and sharing their information so the public can have a better grasp on topics which are science based,” said Rachel Maison, sophomore wildlife biology major.

Global Awareness and International Affairs Club spreads themselves across the board to address many issues and seeks to raise awareness in the Fort Collins community, according to Weixelman.

For instance, CSU has a huge ROTC influence and the international studies program is growing tremendously according to Razan Eltyayeb, sophomore international studies major.

Although the club is growing and still small, they are reaching out to many different niches. They have brought in John Roberts, who is a member of the U.S Department of State’s Foreign Service, with the efforts of Global Village, put on films, panels, radio shows and continuing to put together more internationally-focused events, according to Jackson.

“We want to reach out to people and start having them be internationally minded,” said Samantha Malpiedi, member and journalism and technical communications major sophomore.

Collegian International Beat Reporter Josephine Bush can be reached at news@collegian.com.