1,700 volunteers Clean Up Fort Collins

Last weekend, Fall Clean Up saw their largest volunteer numbers since the program began in 2005. Approximately 1,700 students and staff members helped neighbors in 198 projects around the community prepare for winter.

The students go out there and see this need in the community,” said Emily Allen, community liaison between CSU and the City of Fort Collins. “This just sparks their passion for giving back to the community they live in.

The event, hosted by Off-Campus Life, is CSU’s the second largest outreach program.

“The students go out there and see this need in the community,” said Emily Allen, community liaison between CSU and the City of Fort Collins. “This just sparks their passion for giving back to the community they live in.”

The volunteers spent the day raking leaves, cleaning gutters, and helping with various other jobs. Many of the residents are elderly, disabled, or cannot otherwise afford this work to be done.

The event started out in 2005 with just 50 student volunteers helping 24 neighbors and has grown tremendously in the last nine years — in the last year alone volunteer numbers rose by approximately 700 people.

“I genuinely appreciate what the students do,” Allen said. “It is a needed service. There is no other organization that can provide the people power that CSU can. Residents now count on it.”

Students give an entire day from their weekend to participate in this event.

“I think it is good for us to get involved in the community and show people we are giving back,” said Allison Chowdhurg, a senior journalism and merchandising major.

Many of the volunteers come back every year. Ruth, a Fall Clean Up Resident, and Michael, a volunteer, have requested each other in the program for six years.

“It’s one of those events that I look forward to. I get to spend time with Ruth,” Michael said. “She is such an awesome lady.”

Ruth’s favorite part of Fall Clean Up is having hot cocoa and chatting with the volunteers after the work is done.

“College kids seem to get a bad rep in the news,” Ruth said. “It’s nice when you see the good kids doing stuff.”

Collegian Staff Reporter Stephanie Mason can be reached at news@collegian.com.