Students unclear on scooter laws

Scooters are a fun and efficient way for students to get around campus. However, many students do not fully understand the laws that apply to them.

“I feel like people don’t always know what to do,” said scooter owner Anjelica Blankenship, a junior at CSU. “Since they don’t go as fast as a car, people don’t know how to act and often get impatient.”

A vehicle is considered a low powered scooter if it’s cylinder capacity does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters, according to Sergeant Christopher Robertson, a Patrol Sergeant with the CSUPD. These scooters are allowed to use roads but are not allowed on bike lanes or the sidewalk.

“You basically should treat them like another vehicle,” Robertson said.

Robertson explained that not all students understand that low powered scooters are required to be registered with the State of Colorado. Drivers must also have a valid drivers license, insurance, and eye protection.

“My roommate has been pulled over on it twice,” said scooter owner and CSU senior Brian Cornick. “Once for riding without eye protection at night, and once for riding on a street that was closed because of construction.”

Cornick has owned his low powered scooter for about two years and has never had any problems. He believes most people know the laws that apply to them.

“Most people seem to understand that it’s a motorized bike and should be treated with the same rules as a bike,” said Cornick.

Blankenship disagrees.

“I think they could communicate laws better,” she said. “I don’t always understand how to mix with cars and bikes because it is in between, so I just try to be cautious.”

Sergeant Robertson said it is important for students to understand that they cannot ride low powered scooters in dismount zones. Scooters are also not allowed to be parked on sidewalks. They must park in designated motorcycle parking and have a CSU parking permit.

“I was bummed that I had to get a parking pass,” said Blankenship.

Although it is not required by law, Sergeant Robertson recommends that students wear helmets and refrain from wearing headphones while driving. He also wants students to realize that they are less visible than cars so it is important to look out for other vehicles.

“Ride safe, be smart and ride defensively,” said Robertson.

Both Blankenship and Cornick can agree that there are a number of benefits to owning a scooter.

“I absolutely recommend it,” Cornick said. “It is fast and very efficient.”

Collegian Reporter Maddie Buxton can be reached at news@collegian.com.