CSU Homecoming 2013: 33rd Homecoming 5K

At 8 a.m. Saturday morning, about 2,652 feet will pound the Oval.

The 33rd annual Colorado State Homecoming 5k will kick off Saturday’s day of Homecoming events and family weekend.

The event had more than 1,500 runners in 2012.

“Our current registration is 1,326 participants as of this morning,” said Tiffany Lipsey, the race director.

In the previous years this event has had a great turn out from the community and students. The Kid’s Fun Run will follow at 9 a.m., with Cam the Ram leading the way.

Michelle Pallagi, sophomore health and exercise major, said, “I am super excited. I did it last year and it was super fun.”

Originally, the Homecoming 5k was a fundraiser for the Adult Fitness Program at Colorado State. Today, however, the proceeds will go to Heart Disease Prevention Program of the Human Performance Clinical/Research Lab.

“The race sponsors are responsible for $31,000 in donations. I am most excited about what the race means for participants and for the Heart Disease Prevention Program,” Lipsy said.

According to Lipsey, the 5k is a great way to start the weekend.

“Many students and alumni bring their families to enjoy this event with members of the CSU and Fort Collins communities,” Lipsey said. “It is a chance for people to spend time with friends and family and engage in healthy behavior too. Everyone from the top finishers to those who push strollers to those who walk the race make this event enjoyable for a wide range of fitness levels.”

“I ran the the 5k last year and, even though it was a little early and a tid bit cold, it was a great atmosphere,” said Avery Olson, a sophomore biomedical sciences major.

Olson played soccer and ran long distance track in high school, but is not running the race to beat a specific time.

“I’m super excited, I want to go out and run a fast time on a fast course (it is) all for a good cause.” said Pauline Mandel, a health and exercise major.

Online registration is $25 before the race and $30 the morning of the race.

“I am just going out to try and push myself and have some fun. Everyone should come out,” Olson said. “Whether you are a runner or not, it’s for a good cause.”

Collegian Reporter Josephine Bush can be reached at news@collegian.com.