Briefs: Cat photo contest for clinic’s calendar

Cat photo contest for clinic’s calendar

Fort Collins Cat Rescue & Spay/Neuter Clinic is accepting entries from July 8 through Aug. 9 for its 2014 cat calendar photo contest. The top 11 winners, to be decided in an online vote, will each be featured during one month of the calendar.

The photo contest is open to everyone, and participants may submit as many entries as they like, provided they include a $15 entry fee with each photo. Various animals can be pictured in the photo, but the main focus must be a cat (no humans allowed). All entries and fees must be received by Aug. 9 to be eligible for consideration.

“The best part is that all of the entries that meet the formatting and clarity criteria will be printed somewhere in the calendar,” said Executive Director Sarah Swanty in a news release from the clinic. “We received 146 entries last year, and all of them were featured inside. Our goal is 155 entries this year.”

Donors also can submit personalized messages to be printed on specific dates in the calendar for $10 per message by completing a “Mark Your Date” form. The photo contest and calendar are an annual fundraiser for Fort Collins Cat Rescue & Spay/Neuter Clinic, and the nonprofit organization’s 2013 calendar helped to raise more than $5,800.

The start of online voting for the photo contest will be announced in early September on the organization’s website, and each person may vote only once for his or her three favorite images.

For detailed contest rules go to www.FCCRSNC.org, where digital photos can be submitted electronically and entry fees can be paid online. For questions or more information, e-mail calendar@fccrsnc.org.

Citizens’ Academy scheduled for October through December

The Larimer County Sheriff’s Office has scheduled its annual Citizens’ Academy for October 1, 2013 through December 17, 2013.  The weekly class, held in the evening, is limited in size to 35 participants on a first come-first served basis.  The deadline for applications is September 20, 2013.  There is a $25 fee to cover the cost of an academy tee shirt and lunch during the field day.

The Citizens’ Academy is designed to give citizens an inside look at the operations of the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office, according to a news release. Sessions include: Patrol Operations and Investigation, Crime Lab, Emergency Management and Emergency Services, SWAT and Bomb Squad, K-9 Unit, Jail Tour, Volunteer Opportunities and Ride-along With a Deputy.

On a field day citizens will participate in live scenarios responding to calls which includes live shooting with simulated ammunition, making a simulated traffic stop, and processing a crime scene for evidence.

Applicants must meet the following requirements: 18 years of age, no felony convictions, no misdemeanor arrests within one year of the start of the academy, must be a resident or business owner in Larimer County and  applicants are expected to make a personal commitment to attend all classes.

Additional information and an on-line application is available at http://larimersheriff.org/site-page/citizens-academy. All applicants are subject to a background check.