Summer hikes under 5 miles

English: View atop High Dune, Great Sand Dunes National Park. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Did you know Colorado has some of the best hikes in the nation not only can hike our many 14,ooo ft mountains or 14ers as we call them. We also have some of the best hikes under 5 miles.

The Adventure Journal just put out a list of the 19 best hikes under 5 miles and Colorado contains 2 of these. There are also 3 in Utah and 2 in Arizona making this one of the best places to live if your into short hikes.

According to Adventure Journal Star Dune of the Great Sand Dunes National Park is listed as one of our best short hikes taking an average of one to two hours. Most people don’t think of sand when you mention Colorado but the Great Sand Dunes National Park offers some of the most beautiful scenery in the state with the tallest sand dunes in the nation you and your family are bound to have a good time.

Finally Mt. Sherman is the easiest 14er to conquer in the state with a less then 5 mile hike to reach the summit at over 14,000 ft. However this hike starts out over 12,000 ft. so you might find yourself a little winded early on. As with most mountain hikes make sure you’re on the peak early in the morning so as to avoid getting caught out in the open during the afternoon weather.