CSU police veteran is named New Chief of Police

Update at 5:30 p.m.

The final decision for the new chief boiled down to two candidates, Lt. Scott Harris and Lt. Frank Johnson, with Lt. Harris ultimately winning the position at CSUPD.

“I believe there were two very strong candidates for chief, and likely the decision was a very difficult one. I believe Lt. Haris will be an excellent leader for the department,” Chief Rich-Goldschmidt wrote in an email to the Collegian.

With just two months left, Rich-Goldschmidt described her retirement as bittersweet, but was also excited about her future and the future of CSUPD.

“There are always different responsibilities that come with a new position. However, because we promoted from within, there is a current foundation of experience and knowledge that will help Lt. Harris with this transition,” Rich-Goldschmidt wrote.

The job as a CSUPD chief holds many responsibilities, from administration of employees and officers, to budgeting and creating policy.

“No two days are the same,” Rich-Goldschmidt wrote. “Which is why (being chief of police) can be both an addictive and an attractive position.”

According to Vice President for University Operations Amy Parsons, there are high hopes for the new chief of police.

“Lt. Harris has extensive, impressive experience in law enforcement, coupled with a genuine love for CSU,” Parsons wrote. “I look forward to him making a positive impact in this new role.

According to Parsons, Lt. Harris will continue to build on the valuable partnerships created during Chief Rich-Goldschmidt’s term and adapt to the growing community here at CSU.

Update at 2:30 p.m.

After a four-year term at CSU, Police Chief Wendy Rich-Goldschmidt announced her retirement, marking her last day as July 31. She will be replaced by five-year CSUPD veteran Lt. Scott Harris.

Previously chief of police at the University of Northern Colorado, Rich-Goldschmidt began work at CSU in 2009.

At CSU, Rich-Goldschmidt aided the department with a state accreditation process which was overseen by the Colorado Association of Chiefs of Police

According to the press release, Rich-Goldschmidt is shifting her focus to family after a 26-year career in police work, but will retain her passion for law enforcement.

Original story, 12:30 p.m.
Lt. Scott Harris, five-year veteran of the CSU Police Department, is named CSUPD chief, beginning Aug. 1. Harris has served 39 years in diverse law enforcement on the CSU campus.

According to the news release, after his arrival in 2008, from Albuquerque, New Mexico, Harris has worked in overseeing patrol and investigative divisions, as well as budget and administrative functions.  He has also held been influential in the leadership among university and community committees.

Senior Reporter Mariah Wenzel can be reached at news@collegian.com.