New year, new leadership for ASCSU

A full house Wednesday night marked the end of the 42nd Senate and the beginning of the 43rd Senate of the Associated Students of CSU.

Former ASCSU President Regina Martel, left, hands off a "presidential suitcase" to President Nigel Daniels just before he was sworn in at Senate Wednesday night in the computer science building. The suitcase is passed along, and only seen, by the ASCSU presidents.
Former ASCSU President Regina Martel, left, hands off a “presidential suitcase” to President Nigel Daniels just before he was sworn in at Senate Wednesday night in the computer science building. The suitcase is passed along, and only seen, by the ASCSU presidents.

Nigel Daniels took over as president, and Andrew Olson took over as vice president. Among their tasks in the weeks after winning the election was to compose the executive cabinet for next year.

“I’m confident. I’m excited. I’m thrilled,” Daniels said of the leadership for next year. “I know we are going to see great things come out of this administration.”

Taking a different route than past administrations, Daniels and Olson chose to make their cabinet smaller and go for a more “streamlined” senate.

“We are shrinking the cabinet but paying them better,” said Daniels, in a budget address to the Senate. “We want to make sure we are making their wages competitive and paying them for the work they are doing.”

The duo’s first appointment was senator John Stockley as chief of staff. Stockley ran against Daniels and Olson in the 2013 election, running for vice president. His campaign received 40 percent of the vote.

“I’m really excited for next year,” said Stockley. “I think Nigel is doing a great job really filling up the cabinet with people who aren’t just ‘yes’ men. He’s trying to get people who will challenge what’s going on and I think that will make for a great year.”

Other members of senate approved of Stockley as the Chief of Staff, a position that is the third highest paid in ASCSU, below only the President and vice president.

“At first I was surprised to see John’s name as the Chief of Staff,” said senator Halden Schnal, who was also ratified as an assistant director of governmental affairs. “Then I realized he’s a perfect fit for the job. He’s someone I’ve really looked up to while I’ve been here.”

Other appointed executive directors include Fred Cuclough as director of finance and Lindsay Cornell as controller, Dillon Rickard as the executive director of marketing, Morgan Smith as the executive director of governmental affairs, Jamie Ragusa as the executive director of student services, Lauren Wester as the executive director of outreach, Samantha Block as the executive director of environmental affairs, Mackenzie Whitesell as the executive director of health, and Lance Li Puma as the executive director of university affairs.

ASCSU Beat Reporter Carrie Mobley can be reached at news@collegian.com.