Theta Chi chapter at Colorado State to be reestablished

Saturday, the CSU chapter of the Theta Chi fraternity will be officially reinstated to the university after starting up as a colony last year.

Last February, two representatives from Theta Chi national organization came to CSU seeking to reestablish the CSU chapter, said senior communications major Ryan Moulden who was the first member and is the current president of the chapter. It has not been at CSU since 1973.

After speaking with some of Moulden’s supervisors from different organizations, the two national representatives came to Moulden and informed him about the opportunity to begin the chapter. When Moulden first came to CSU, he said that the Greek system was not appealing to him.

“But this was a way for to me to kind of bring together the cream of the crop in my world of student involvement — of guys at CSU who care about the university, who are going to care about each other and who want to make a positive impact on the Greek community and the philanthropies we are involved in — those sorts of things,” Moulden said.

So far, their team has already won Greek Week, they have had the highest GPAs of any Greek organization at CSU and they are already the fifth largest fraternity on campus, said sophomore psychology major PJ Ricketson, the 11th member to join last year.

Ricketson was told by his Resident Assistant last year about the new chapter. After many of his friends began joining, Ricketson said that was when he decided to take the leap.

“When I came into college, I had my stereotypical idea of what a fraternity was, which was what the movies told me. For this, I can make it what I wanted it to be — that was kind of my incentive to join,” Ricketson said.

The new president of the chapter, senior journalism and technical communications major Ryan Weir, was the 22nd member to join. Weir said he originally joined the chapter last year because he saw that the guys involved were going places and he wanted to be a part of it.

Weir said that as a fraternity, he is most proud of the community service that they have participated in thus far. This year, they hired themselves out to do yard work, and donated the money made to an organization called Crossroads Safe House, Weir said.

Alex Kolber, a sophomore journalism and technical communications major, and the current public relations representative for the chapter, decided to join fall 2012 during rush week.

“I saw how much the guys were trying to break the negative stereotype, because there very much is a negative stigma that can come with Greek Life, especially fraternities. It’s all just kind of partying and drinking and that kind of stuff. Theta Chi does a lot to try to break that,” Kolber said.

The fraternity has been working over the past year to meet the requirements in order to become a full-fledged chapter, Kolber said. They had to make sure they had enough people to officially begin the fraternity and write and send in about a 30-page petition.

“Saturday will kind of be a celebration of the culmination of a year’s worth of work,” Kolber said.

Kolber said there is secrecy involved so they do not know exactly what will take place, but the president of Theta Chi International will be attending as well as parents of some members.

Collegian Writer Cailley Biagini can be reached at news@collegian.com.