Free screening of “Honor Flight” documentary tonight in LSC

Inside the theatre
Inside the theatre (Photo credit: BAMCAT)

CSU students have joined up with the Honor Flight Network to help veterans overcome financial and physical barriers to visit national war memorials.

The CSU Army and Air Force ROTC, Campus Veterans Organization and History Club are teaming up to organize a showing of “Honor Flight: One Last Mission” Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theatre.

The documentary tells the story of the Honor Flight Network, an organization that flies U.S. veterans to Washington, D.C. to visit war memorials free of charge. Since its first flight in 2005, Honor Flight has helped more than 98,772 World War II veterans make the trip. “Our mission is to fly American veterans to Washington, D.C. to visit those memorials dedicated to honor the service and sacrifices of themselves and their friends,” said Angela Bresee, who accepts applications for flights at their national headquarters in Springfield, Ohio.

Northern Colorado is one of 124 hubs in 41 states that offer flights two to three times a year, according to Cadet Matthew Penn, a CSU sociology major. “We’ve been helping with the Northern Colorado Honor Flight for about three to four years and this (screening) is just another way to try and get students involved,” Penn said.

Many of these veterans are on fixed incomes or are limited by physical handicaps that would make it difficult for them to make the trip on their own, according to Bresee. A successful flight requires numerous volunteers to help the veterans with their luggage and load the planes.

Devin Schnaedig, a horticulture major and Marine Corps veteran, assisted with the flight last semester. “I’m glad I had an opportunity to show some appreciation for true American heroes,” Schnaedig said.

Veterans from World War II, the Korean War and war in Iraq who have participated in past honor flights will be in attendance. “We hope a large number of students are able to join us on Tuesday night as we honor some of our local veterans,” Penn said.

The event is free, but donations to the Honor Flight Network will be collected. Refreshments will be provided.

Collegian writer Isabella Heepke can be reached at news@collegian.com.