Students speak on Prospect Road closure at College Avenue for MAX construction

Flagger Bob Ziems prepares to direct a car to turn around on the east side of the Prospect Road construction area between College and Centre avenues. The closure is for the MAX bus rapid transit system construction.

On March 4, Prospect Road was fully closed on either side of the BNSF railroad tracks, between College and Centre avenues, for construction on the MAX bus rapid transit system. While access to businesses within the closure area is being maintained, drivers are facing detour routes.

The City of Fort Collins encouraged drivers and pedestrians to use extra time to reach their destinations, according to a news release.

According to the release, the affected intersection is very narrow and would be unsafe if only portions of the road were closed. The full closure is expected to shorten the duration of construction impacts, rather than spreading them out over the year.

Campus Voice: “How do you feel about the closing of Prospect Road for construction?”
MatthewKirby
Matthew Kirby, sophomore philosophy major
“It definitely made it a lot harder to get to classes today. It seemed like the construction workers weren’t really directing traffic very well either.”
GraceKelly
Grace Kelly, sophomore undeclared business interest
“I don’t feel good about it. We have enough construction already. I just wish I could drive around easily.”
MartinStithMartin Stith, sophomore economics major
“I have more of an opinion on how they perform construction: I wish there was more money for night construction — and day construction — to get it done faster rather than taking a year or so.  We should be more willing to pay tax money for speedy construction.”
JoshTomjackJosh Tomjack, freshman journalism and technical communications major
“It’s going to be an inconvenience for me because I have a lot of friends who live in the Prospect area.”
CharlotteHarmerCharlotte Harmer, freshman sociology major
“I don’t drive, I bike, so it’s not that inconvenient for me. If the road needs to be fixed then it needs to be fixed.”