CSU students host dance marathon for Children’s Hospital

Saturday, March 9 at 4 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theatre, rock stars will be introduced when CSU students host dance marathon for Children’s Hospital.Like a typical rock concert, there will be dancing and cheering — but these aren’t your average tattoo covered, guitar breaking rock stars; these are kids and their families who have been treated at Children’s Hospital, and are coming to CSU to be introduced in front of some of their biggest fans.CSU’s Dance Marathon organization will host a six hour event during which students and community members can celebrate their fundraising efforts at the first ever Dance Marathon to be held at CSU. Registration for the event is $15 online at childrenscoloradofoundation.org under CSU Dance Marathon, or the day of the event at check-in beginning at 3 p.m. Registration includes a t-shirt and dinner from Panda Express.Since last semester, CSU students have been raising funds as part of a nationwide movement. Students across the country from Dance Marathon organizations on their campuses raise money to donate to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital in their community, according to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital. 

The Penn State Dance Marathon at Penn State, t...
The Penn State Dance Marathon at Penn State, the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The efforts culminate with a night of dancing and entertainment in which students and community members join together and “dance for those who can’t.”

In its inaugural year at CSU, members of the organization were hoping to raise at least $2,000, said Amy Dingle, marketing chair for CSU Dance Marathon. As of Wednesday morning, the donation amount had reached $9,223.

“We’ve gotten a lot of support (from other organizations on campus) which is great,” said Brittney Richardson, a senior economics and business major, who has helped organize the event. “CSU as a whole has been really fantastic with helping us with donations and working with us a lot to find the theater to put (the event) in and even Panda is letting us serve food out of their (campus) restaurant.”

For Richardson, this event has a special meaning. She will be dancing in honor of a child she used to nanny for who lost her battle due to an illness two years ago. In the time she spent at Children’s Hospital visiting the child, Richardson said she appreciated the support from the staff.

“The people there are phenomenal,” she said. “They really made us feel like we were the biggest thing going on in their lives and everyone generally cared about what was happening.”

Knowing that the funds will benefit many different children is one of the greatest aspects in participating in the organization, Richardson said, and the most rewarding part will come the night of the dance.

“I feel like being at the event with the kids, being able to say that we are donating all this money and that all these people are there to support them,” she said. “I think that’s going to be the best part of it.”

According to Dingle, each hour of the Dance Marathon will focus on a different theme. The main focus will be on the children who will be introduced at the beginning, “so everyone knows they are the rock stars,” Dingle said. Any CSU students or members of the Fort Collins community are welcome to participate in the event.

People who are unable to donate or pay for the event but would still like to participate should contact the organization, said Cameron Delphia, a representative for Dance Marathon.

“This is an event that we are hoping to bring back next year,” Delphia said.  “So whether you dance or donate or want to volunteer or be involved in any way we would love your support.”

For right now, Delphia is unsure how the event will turn out, but the excitement level is high.

“I think that when you get that many people together for an event that’s raising money for such a great cause, it’s only going to go well.”

Collegian Writer Katie O’Keefe can be reached at news@collegian.com.