5 Strategies for Landing Your Dream Job After Graduation

Graduated and feeling lost about your next steps? Looking to set up your life, find a good job, and earn money? Who doesn’t want that, right?...

Our Print Edition
Courtesy of Democratic Socialists of America Fort Collins
Palestine Benefit Concert supports local families through art, music
Cadence Cardona, Staff Reporter • July 14, 2024
National: Shooting at Trump rally leaves attendee dead, violence condemned by Colorado politicians
Allie Seibel, Editor in Chief • July 14, 2024
A graphic of a mother and daughter walking down a red, white and blue striped path facing fireworks in the distance. At the base of the path is a small brown truck.
Fort Collins' annual Independence Day Parade draws international crowd
Sophia Masia, Staff Reporter • July 9, 2024
In an indoor gym, a woman track athlete holds a shotput ball above her head in preparation to throw.
Morris, Lesnar, Hawkins represent Rams in US Summer Olympics team trials
Adam Gross, Staff Reporter • July 7, 2024
View All

Mardi Gras celebration at the Ramskeller

Students looking to celebrate Mardi Gras might consider wearing purple for justice, gold for power and green for faith –– the traditional colors of the holiday that will flood the Ramskeller today.

The German Club, Le Cercle Français and Students for Study Abroad are organizing their tenth annual Fat Tuesday celebration at the popular campus hangout. The event will include music, free food, a costume competition and raffles.

“It’s a great chance to meet people and learn about a different interpretation of Mardi Gras than they are accustomed to,” said Bryana Starbuck, president of the French club and senior French and international studies double major. “It’s a way to blow off some steam and have fun together.”

Starbuck is expecting 200 attendees based on last year’s turnout.

“People think of Mardi Gras as just a French or Brazilian thing.  But we as the German Club –– we can show Fasching,” said German Club secretary Jennifer Robinson, referring to the country’s version of Fat Tuesday.

In Germany, the celebration begins on the Thursday before Fat Tuesday with Women’s Carnival (Weiberfastnacht) at 11:11 a.m., according to Franziska Wilcox, the club’s advisor and a German instructor at CSU.

“All of the single men wear a tie, going out to local pubs,” Wilcox said. “All of the single women who would like to claim a single man, cut off their ties with a pair of scissors.”

That day kicks off the “crazy days” that lead up to the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which is observed by western Christians as the first day of Lent.

“I don’t think we can do it alone. It’s always fun to collaborate with them (French Club),” Robinson said, adding that her favorite part of Mardi Gras are the costumes.

“ … One year we had somebody with steampunk, then we had Jesus one year, that was pretty cool,” Robinson said. “Yeah I mean, dress up as anything.”

Student Life Beat Reporter and Entertainment Reporter Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.