CSUSA scholarships applications due Friday

The annual CSU Scholarship Application is due Friday at 11 p.m. for students interested in receiving one of the multitude of financial awards offered by the university.

Students who complete and submit the application will be considered for scholarships through their academic college, as well as other scholarships offered throughout campus, according to Scholarship Program Coordinator Jeanne Snyder.

“Last year, approximately 2,500 awards were made, valued at over $4 million in scholarships through the CSUSA,” Snyder said. “All CSU should consider completing it –– undergraduate, graduate, as well as doctor of veterinary medicine students. There are scholarships available for just about every type of student.”

Sophomore vocal performance major Noel Houle von Behren completed the CSUSA application last year and was awarded almost $3,000 in scholarships.

“($3,000) is a great amount, especially tacked onto other scholarships,” Houle von Behren said. “I actually didn’t have to pay for school this year because CSUSA helped with that, which was really nice. It accumulated with other scholarships, so that really helped because I don’t want to keep taking out student loans.”

The selections committee looks at a student’s cumulative GPA, his or her answers to the essays, the goals questions in particular and extracurricular activities, Snyder said. Some academic colleges have additional requirements such as letters of recommendation or transcripts.

“The questions are there. I think to help prompt you to share what you are passionate about, or what you might be passionate about in the future,” Houle von Berhen said. “They want to see you as a student and how you want to succeed in whatever definition that is.”

With over 7,000 applicants each year, the process for the scholarships is competitive and Snyder recommends students spend time ensuring their answers to the essays and goals are complete, concise and well-written.

“For the students trying to fill it out: do be sincere, take your time, but don’t stress too much, if you space it out enough you will be fine,” Houle von Behren said. “I started in December, at the end of winter break, and I am not turning it in until March 1. (The application) is really important because there is a lot of money offered, not just through the basic CSUSA, but through additional scholarships.”

Collegian Writer Taylor Pettaway can be reached at news@collegian.com.