CSU Campus Rec offers variety of activity classes

By Taylor Pettaway and Mariah WenzelSpring 2013 Activity Classes are about to begin at CSU. The activity classes offered include different types of dance, martial arts and personal trainer instructor courses.

According to Loretta Capra, coordinator for the activity classes, classes are a progression and not just drop-in like yoga and cycling. The first class for all activities is free of charge with following classes requiring payment at the time of registration. You must be taking six or more credits or be a rec center member to enroll in classes.

Interested students can register at the Student Rec Service Center or call 970-491-6359 and press 0.

International Ballroom Dance Level 1
Mondays, Feb. 4 to March 4
8 to 9:30 p.m.
$69 per couple
Rec Center Studio 4
“We start with the basics of the first four dances that are often taught to international ballroom dance students, Waltz, Tango, Samba and Cha-Cha-Cha,” instructor Jorgen Rasmussen said. “Even if this is the only class a student ever takes in ballroom dance, they will be miles ahead of the pack at weddings and other formal events that involve a dance floor.”

International Ballroom Dance Level 2
Mondays, March 25 to April 22
8-9:30 PM
$69 per couple
Rec Center Studio 4
Students will build upon their knowledge of the various ballroom dance moves from level 1.

Belly Dancing Basics
Wednesdays, January 30 to March 6
5:45-7:00 p.m.
$59
Rec Center Studio 2
“The style of dance that I perform and teach is improvisational tribal style belly dance, which is a group dance based on a common vocabulary of moves and cues rather than choreography,” instructor Heather Longino said. “We’ll be starting out as a beginner level class working on posture, isolations and some solid foundation moves that we can put into combinations and build on throughout the class.”

FIT Fitness Instructor Course
Mondays and Wednesdays, Feb. 11 to May 1
6:20-7:30 p.m.
$150 (includes books and materials)
Rec Center Studio 2
FIT is an intensive program for those interesting in becoming group fitness instructors. It is focused on fundamental including kickboxing, step and strength.  It is a good preparation course for the American Council on Exercise national certification exam.

Judo
Wednesdays and Fridays, Jan. 30 to May 10
7-9 p.m.
$79
Rec Center Mat Room
By developing self-discipline, mentally and physically, students learn how use their opponent’s strength against them, while also maximizing their own power.

Ki-Aikido
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays, Jan. 29 to May 9
7-9 PM
$109
South College Mat Room
Ki-Aikido teachings include meditation, breathing and self-defense to emphasize the coordination of body and mind.  Ki-Aikido is a relaxing martial arts class that focuses on balance and flow.

Muay Thai Kickboxing
Section 1:Wednesdays and Fridays, January 30-March 8
Section 2: Wednesdays and Fridays, March 27-May 3
5:30-6:45 PM
$84 (per section)
Rec Center Mat Room
“Muay Thai kickboxing class, one of the most prominent martial arts found in MMA or mixed martial arts,” instructor Matt Herschberg said. “And my class will be mainly focused on technique to help people adequately defend themselves and it’s a lot more hands on to get in shape as well.”

On Guard: Women’s Personal Safety
Sundays, Feb. 24 and March 3
6-9 p.m.
$10
LSC Meeting Room A and Rec Center Mat Room
On Guard is a self-defense and awareness class that will help women learn safety skills. This course teaches students that they are not victims.

PFT Personal Fitness Instructor Course
5-7 p.m.
$189 (includes books and materials)
Student Rec Center Lower Conference Room
PFT is a course on the skills to become a certified personal trainer. It is a good course to prep for the American Council on Exercise national certification exam.

Shobudo Bujitsu Jujitsu
Jan. 29 to May 9
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7-9 p.m., Sundays, 2-4 p.m.
$109
Rec Center Mat Room
Shobudo Bujitsu Jujitsu introduces and teaches a wide variety of techniques for students to defend themselves mentally and physically as well as teaching them flexibility agility and confidence.

Shorin-Ryu Karate
Mondays and Wednesdays, Jan. 28 to May 8
7-8 p.m.
$59
Mondays Rec Center Mat Room, Wednesdays South College Mat Room
In Shorin-Ryu Karate, students will learn self-defense with both empty hand techniques and have a basic introduction of the bo-staff.

Shotokan Karate
Tuesdays and Thursdays, Jan. 29 to May 9
7-8:30 p.m.
$69
Moby Aerobics Room
“Shotokan is a traditional Japanese martial art focusing on empty hand techniques and strikes,” instructor Brian Davis said. “It is for those wanting to get in shape, do MMA fighting, self-defense and even do competitions.”

Studio Dance Level One
Mondays, Feb. 4 to April 15
8:15-9:30 p.m.
$49
Moby Aerobics Room
“Studio Dance 1 is for beginners or people who have never tried to dance before. In this class I will go over fundamentals and we will learn up to two 2:00 dances,” instructor Jessica Bauer said. Styles include jazz, hip hop and ballet.

Studio Dance Level 2
Wednesdays, Feb. 6 to April 17
8:15-9:30 p.m.
$49
Moby Aerobics Room
“Studio Dance 2 is for intermediate to advanced dancers. This class will concentrate on brushing up and expanding a dancer’s skills as well as learning two or more 2:00 dances,” instructor Jessica Bauer said. This course is a continuation of level one and is for more experienced dancers.

Tai Chi Ch’uan
Thursdays, Feb. 7 to April 4
5:30-6:45 p.m.
$49
Student Rec Center Mat Room
Tai Chi Ch’uan teaches the principles of this internal martial arts. Skills learned are applied to health, strength and martial ability.

Traditional Tae Kwon Do
6-8 p.m.
$79
Moby Aerobics Room
“[We] incorporate self-defense, forms and sparring. We don’t beat the tar out of each other like some martial arts,” instructor Bill Brazile said. This course is non-contact but will teach stances, blocking, striking and kicking.