Consuelo’s out, 7-Eleven in

Junior zoology major Samantha Alba (left) and junior natural recreation and tourism major Elena Hammering walk past the construction at the corner of Elizabeth St and City Park Ave. Sunday afternoon. The contruction is becoming a nuisance to many walkers as it is forcing them to walk in the street or j-walk in order to aviod it.

The world’s largest convenience store chain, 7-Eleven, is breaking ground in Fort Collins. Construction of the new 7-Eleven continues on the corner of West Elizabeth Street and City Park Avenue, formerly the site of Consuelo’s Mexican Restaurant.Construction efforts have rerouted traffic and caused trouble for some students during their daily commute.“Although road closures did not cause me to change my commute too much, I was able to see how students had limited access to the Campus West Liquor Store,” said Connor Sims, a sophomore biological science major and off-campus resident.

The intersection of West Elizabeth Street and City Park Avenue was blocked off for two weeks, affecting nearby businesses. Wendy’s and the Campus West Liquor Store were affected as access to driveways and intersections was limited by construction.

“The construction progress of the 7-Eleven has not influenced our company, thus far” C.B. & Potts manager Jen Larsen said. “When the store does open, we will then look to see if students’ business is affected. We will continue to focus on our business.”

The construction project has concentrated on the work behind the fences. Commuters to and from the campus are able to use public and their own transportation with ease.

“Being in the center of off-campus apartments, the 7-Eleven will contribute to students who want quick snacks or Slurpee,” Sims said.

The city of Fort Collins and the construction team broke ground in early December and plan on completing the project within the next month.

“I think we have enough gas and convenient locations in the campus community,” said Brandon Adams, a sophomore hospitality management major. “We have a 7-Eleven in the area, I think there could be  a better use for the area… I think it is a waste of money.”

Within the last two years, Colorado has opened more than 24 new 7-Elevens in downtown Denver, the suburbs and now Fort Collins.

Based on records from the 7-Eleven website, their company opens a new store every two hours and has over 48,000 retail and outlet locations.

7-Eleven headquarters declined to comment on the progress of the construction effort.

Collegian Writer Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at  news@collegian.com.