Colorado State’s Journal of Undergraduate Research opens more international branches

The Journal of Undergraduate Research and Scholarly Excellence is going global.

The publication, which is by students for students, is working to open more branches internationally so that undergraduate students will have the opportunity to submit work and in turn see other submissions from all over the world.

According to Kendall Hershey, the administrative director for JUR Press, this is truly unique to undergraduate students.

“This is important because we are giving this amazing opportunity to undergraduate students who want to submit a piece or be a staff member, because we are really expanding and growing,” said Hershey. “We are always in transition because we are always thinking of ways to grow and expand.”

There are several publications provided for graduate students to submit their work.

Hershey explained that the hope is to create internationalism for any undergraduate student that wants to be involved, which could be beneficial for students after graduation when they are looking into career options.

“When students go to apply for jobs, they can say that their work was published in a journal that is recognized internationally,” Hershey said.

JUR gives any undergraduate student the opportunity to submit any piece of work that they are interested in having published.

“We accept admissions from every discipline all around the world. Specifically, we only have branches in the United Kingdom, Chile and India right now,” Hershey said.

Tasha Lookin, the editor in chief for JUR Press, explained that they are also in the process of setting up a branch in Mexico City in addition to the other three branches.

Any students that become involved with JUR and JUR Press, whether through submitting a work or working in the offices, are given more than just a bullet for a resume, according to Lookin.

“The great thing about this opportunity is that this is all based on internships. Our CSU students are given internship credit and the abroad students are on a volunteer basis right now,” said Lookin.

Lookin explained that the process for submission is moderately lengthy, but that the main process includes three steps.

“We have our editors go over the submissions as they come in, and then we have a graduate editor and a faculty member as well,” Lookin said.

For more information regarding JUR, the submission policies, or other opportunities refer to jur.colostate.edu