[Video] Democrats react to Obama 2012 election victory in Denver

Editor’s Note: Collegian reporters Kate Winkle and Kate Simmons are sending in live updates from the Democrat and Republican presidential watch parties in Denver. Scroll down for live updates from both.

9:20 p.m. — Denver

“Four more years,” the Democrats gathered in Denver chant in response to Obama’s re-election to a second term as president of the United States.

Meanwhile, Republicans boo and hang their heads at their respective watch parties in Denver.

“There won’t be much cheering here tonight,” one attendee says one Republican in reaction to the news.

9:08 p.m. — Democrat Watch Party

Energy is high as the minutes tick by. Music blasting from speakers near the front quiets periodically and the voices of CNN reporters with race projections punctuate the air. Approximately every ten minutes deafening cheers signal the announcement of a Democratic projected winner from the house, senate, or presidency. A projected Obama win in Wisconsin elicits ecstatic cheers, while a projected win in North Carolina for Romney results in boos and groans.

While some attendees are decked out in formal attire, Adriana Velasquez wears a shirt with a large graphic of Obama adorned with campaign buttons she collected when volunteering for the campaign. She holds a “Latinos for Obama” sign and cheers as the CNN broadcast reports positive Democratic leads.

“I hope Obama is my president again,” Velasquez said. She watched election updates all Tuesday.

Antionette Sandoval stands nearby, also sporting campaign buttons. The energy of the watch party is invigorating, according to Sandoval. The party is a good meeting ground for people of similar ideologies.

“It’s good to be out here amongst everybody,” Sandoval said. “If you’re watching at home, you’re going to go stir crazy.”

Sandoval said she believes that Obama will regain the presidency tonight based on the results so far.

Sandoval initially planned to wake up in the morning and hear the news of the next president.
Velasquez is less inclined to wait for the morning to hear the announcement she said she believes will be in favor of Obama, even if the election stretches late into the night.

“I don’t plan on going home until I know he’s president,” Velasquez said.

8:55 p.m. — Republican Watch Party

Republicans remain hopeful but realistic. When asked whether they think Romney will win tonight responses vary from “absolutely” to “hopeful” to “not looking good.”

“Jobs” continues to be the word of the night. Scott Gillespie and his wife Peggy reiterate what many attendees have expressed: this is a fiscal election, not a social one.

Discussing the electoral issues in a corner hallway so he could be heard over the raging country music in the main room, Scott Gillespie said that after rebelling as a teenager he has come to recognize that social issues don’t define the country.

“If people can’t get jobs and are unemployed, social issues don’t matter,” Gillespie said.

His wife agreed. Peggy said she doesn’t understand people who make their decision about gay marriage or abortion when the country is facing such dire economic trials.

The outcry is heard from nearly every Republican attending the watch party tonight: jobs and the economy are the most important issues the incoming president will have to address and Romney is the man they trust to solve our economic problems.

8:24 p.m. — Democrat Watch Party

8:00 p.m. — Democrat Watch Party

Cheers erupt from Democrats in Denver as they learn of Jared Polis clinching the second congressional district race. Most supporters are still at their respective polling locations to make sure things are running smoothly.

Clustered around a table clutching glasses of wine, Denver residents Julie Rennick, Alice Gibbs and Trent Barnes enjoy the camaraderie of the watch party.

Barnes recently moved from New York, a solidly Democratic state, and said he was excited to vote in Colorado because he feels his vote will count more.

“I want to see victory and I want to be around people that are supportive in that,” Barnes said. “… Coming out to a community like this gives a human aspect to the campaign. You normally see people spitting out bull quotes, politics seems to be very highly processed… coming here and seeing people who act engage in the same issues and think about things similar ways and fight for them actively, its just a wonderful environment. There’s a real sense of collegiality at the end of a campaign.”

Being surrounded by people who want a similar result in the election and hearing from Colorado representatives is a positive aspect of watch parties, according to Gibbs. Her goals for the night match those of many other attendees.

“I hope Obama takes it as well as these fine people listed here for Congress, and maybe that Mitt Romney cries a little bit,” Gibbs said.

7:30 p.m. — Democrat Watch Party

More than 1,000 people have gathered in front of the stage to listen to the band and watch the screens as states across the country turn red and blue.

The screen displaying FOX News goes to full volume as John Boehner announces that Republicans are ahead in the Senate race. Cheers erupt through the room.

7:23 p.m. — Republican Watch Party

Senators, their families and other Republican attendees gather in a skybox overlooking the Mile High City’s football field. Groups of attendees stand around small tables set up through the room, ready to celebrate Romney’s victory.

Senator Mark Scheffel came with his wife and two daughters. Scheffel is up for reelection in District 4. Today his eighteen-year-old daughter voted for the first time and had the unique experience of voting for her father.

Maria Scheffel, freshmen at Colorado Christian University, remembers her parents bringing her with them into the voting booth when she was a child. She said she was taught the value of voting at a young age and knows that having the right to vote is a privilege. Looking out over the football field where the Broncos have brought home so many victories, Maria said she is excited to see her dad bring home his own victory tonight.

7:35 p.m. — National/Colorado Poll Results

With 1 percent reporting, President Obama leads Mitt Romney with 51.8 percent of the vote in Colorado. Romney leads by a slight margin in Florida, as well as in Wisconsin, with less than 1 percent reporting.

7:04 p.m. — Democratic Watch Party

People have begun trickling who look to be mainly community members.

6:50 p.m. — Republican Watch Party

A country band has started playing, entertaining attendees while they await results.

6:39 p.m. — Republican Watch Party

Behind the podium at Sports Authority at Mile High Stadium, Romney’s ‘R’ hangs on a black curtain highlighted by red lights. On either side hangs an American flag and the Colorado flag. Next to the stage large screens display election coverage from three major news outlets: CNN, MSNBC and Fox News. People have gathered to watch the coverage and the night is being documented by numerous news cameras on a platform directly opposite the stage.

6:44 p.m. — Democratic Watch Party

6:23 p.m. —Democratic Watch Party

The event does not begin until 7 p.m., and currently a row of cameras and their accompanying media representatives milling about is the only action we see. The are approximately 50 members of the media in the room.

6:13 p.m. — Democratic watch party

The stage at the Democratic watch party at the Sheraton Downtown Denver Hotel is draped in blue. Democrat’s political signs hang to frame a row of six American Flags. Two large screens broadcasting CNN flank the stage.