Larimer County GOP Chairman: Lundberg’s grassroots campaign great, name recognition a hurdle

By: Austin Briggs and Amanda Zetah

8:53 — Larimer County Clerk

The Larimer County Clerk has updated unofficial results for District 2:

Percent Votes
Kevin Lundberg (REP) 46.58% 66,482
Jared Polis (DEM) 48.41% 69,093
Randy Luallin (LIB) 2.79% 3,977
Susan P. Hall (GRN) 2.22% 3,172
 Total 142,724

8:36 — Republican watch party at the Ptarmigan Country Club in Windsor, Colo.

Michael Fassi, the Larimer County GOP chairman, said Kevin Lundberg’s run for Colorado’s 2nd Congressional District was a “great opportunity in Larimer county” as the first attempt in the newly redistricted 2nd District, and that taking on Polis was difficult because Polis had such high name recognition in the district.

“Kevin’s campaign was a grassroots campaign, he’s got to become known in the area,” Fassi said. He added that this year, while Polis had to only be known in one county, Lundberg had to be introduced in eight new counties.

8:42 — Democratic watch party at the Fort Collins Marriott

Rep. Jared Polis and winner of tonight’s Colorado 2nd Congressional District race shared some thoughts before leaving his watch party tonight.

“I want to thank each and every one of you, you are each a part of this victory, thank you to our team and thank you for knocking on doors,” Polis said.

There are still one hundred or so people here waiting to hear about the presidential race. Appetizers are being served, the mood is light and happy due to the recent success of Polis and people are hugging and congratulating each other.

MSNBC is up on the screen streaming updates and predictions of who will win each state. People continue to cheer for all Democrats, particularly Warren, the freshly elected Wisconsin Senator who is also the first openly gay woman in the senate.

8:12 p.m. — Democratic watch party at the Fort Collins Marriott

“My win means that CSU and Fort Collins will have a representative that will focus on education and making it affordable. I will put problem solving over ideology and will look to move our country forward,” said Polis.

7:58 p.m. — Democratic watch party at the Fort Collins Marriott

The announcement arrived that Jared Polis has won the race against Sen. Kevin Lundberg for Colorado’s 2nd Congressional District. The excitement level is high as he gives his speech at the Fort Collins Marriott, thanking those that knocked on doors, those that signed up voters and those that have supported him from the beginning.

“The race is called and I will be the next congressmen. I want to  thank you for helping elect Obama and me to represent Larimer County. I want to thank my team members, who  knocked on 70,000 doors,” Polis said.

“Tonight will probably be a long night, but looks like it will probably be a pretty good night, doesn’t it, Democrats?” Polis said.

7:05 p.m. — Republican watch party at the Ptarmigan Country Club in Windsor, Colo.

Candidate Sen. Kevin Lundberg just wrapped a speech at his watch party in Windsor, Colo.

Campaign manager Debbie Healey opened up for Lundberg before he began, saying, “I have been so proud to be with that man Kevin Lundberg. He’s going to be our next congressman.”

Cheers and clapping erupted from the crowd of a few hundred people.

Healey continued, speaking about the thousands of miles they drove across the second congressional district meeting constituents, giving speeches and participating in debates. “Let me tell you, this has been one crazy ride.”

speaking to a crows of about the crowd in the banquet room, Lundberg gave a ten minute speech thanking the crowd for their contributions to the campaign.

“win or lose tonite, may we move forward knowing it’s our responsibility to our creator to defend those principles of freedom and liberty,” Lundberg said.

7:32 p.m. — Democratic watch party at the Fort Collins Marriott

The Larimer County Democrats have rented out the ballroom at the Marriott in Fort Collins for the night. People began trickling in at 6 pm and the house was nearly full by the time Jared Polis arrived at 6:58 pm. He greeted the press and promised a full interview once he knows if he’s won or lost the election.

There is a booth at the front asking for donations, and seems to have a never ending line behind it. A screen on both sides of the large ballroom is playing the MSNBC live coverage. Each time Obama wins a state, there are loud cheers and chaos erupting from the attendees. Above the cheers, it is easy to make out that Obama just won Wisconsin, which has 10 electoral votes.

Lundberg showed up at about 6:50 and is getting set up to give a speech any minute now.

7:02 p.m. — Democratic watch party at the Fort Collins Marriott

Polis rolled in at exactly 6:58 pm. He has agreed to a quote after there are results, he has no comment right now because nothing has happened.

Patsy Morris, a volunteer for Obama campaign and Larimer County Democrats, said she was out canvassing early today. She has lived in Fort Collins for 20 years, and considers herself a strong Democrat.

“The presidential race is close. I’m uncomfortable with Ryan’s budget because it will affect my medicare and social security,” she said. “I think young women will be more affected than I will. They will struggle to find equal favor, equal work and won’t have a right to make their own health decisions.”

6:48 — Republican watch party at the Ptarmigan Country Club in Windsor, Colo.

Approximately 80 people have gathered in the banquet room and bar area of the ptarmigan country club for the Kevin Lundberg watch party as results begin to trickle in for the national and local elections. Kevin Lundberg shirts and signs are all over. Most of the crowd is 55 or older, a few college age attendees.

6:42 p.m. — Democratic watch party at the Fort Collins Marriot

Sulee Miller is an employee at the Marriott, the location of Jared Polis’ watch party. She’s from Thailand, but lived in California for 14 years and has been in Colorado for 20 years.

She only votes for the president, and isn’t familiar with Polis or his stances. She voted for Obama, but doesn’t consider herself a Democrat.

“I vote depending on the issue, the year, the person and not just the party,” Miller said.

6:31 p.m. — Democratic watch party at the Fort Collins Marriot

People are trickling in, and an entrance booth was set up about twenty minutes ago. Currently there are 25 to 50 people here, but the event officially started only minutes ago.
6:00 p.m.

Rep. Jared Polis (D) is seeking a third term as Colroado’s 2nd District member of Congress. Challenger Sen. Kevin Lundberg (R) is looking to unseat Polis in a predominantly liberal district.

Collegian reporters Amanda Zetah and Austin Briggs are attending watch parties for both campaigns, and will provide updates, reactions and expectations from both campaigns as the vote counting begins.

Stay with the Collegian for pictures, tweets and updates.