Colorado State students and alumni receive resume help

Alex Schnaderbeck, a recent biomedical science graduate, found his college job at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal as a sophomore at the Career Fair.And two years ago, he had the opportunity to represent the Arsenal at the Career Fair.

“I came full circle,” he said.

Schnaderbeck isn’t the only CSU student who has found employment through the Career Fair, sponsored by the university’s Career Center. Countless CSU students have found employment at the 35 different employers involved.

To prepare for the job search, the Career Center is hosting Resume Rush –– a bi-annual event where students can take advantage of having their resumes reviewed and critiqued by a resume specialist.

Resume Rush: September 4, 7 and 10 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m

Career Fair: September 11, 12 and 13 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 11, will have employers from disciplines focused on health and wellness, social services, education and criminal justice. Wednesday Sept. 12 will have employers from management, finance, agricultural business, liberal arts and marketing. Thursday Sept. 13 will focus on science, technology, agriculture and environment.

There are Career Fairs later in September specifically designated for students majoring in construction management and engineering. Construction management will be Sept. 25 and engineering will be on the 27th.

Students can meet with career counselors and employers for 10 to 15 minutes to revise their resume. Resume Rush will last from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Career Center, which is in the basement of the Lory Student Center.

Last year, 423 students and alumni participated in the Fall Resume Rush.

“We help students to present themselves in the best way possible by giving them tools for a targeted job search process and for increased future success,” Career Counseling Graduate Assistant Elissa Buxbaum said in an email to the Collegian.

“Going to Resume Rush was an awesome way to fit a necessary resume critique into my busy schedule,” junior business and graphic design major Jessica Lederhos said in an email to the Collegian. “I got really helpful advice on how to polish my resume for the upcoming Career Fair in a way that would make it stand out to employers.”

“Students participating will get great advice on how to create a resume that will stand out for all the right reasons,” Buxbaum said.

Schnaderbeck agreed that the tools at Resume Rush are helpful and said he didn’t utilize as much as he should have as a student.

“The resume builder on (the Career Center’s) website is super helpful but I wish I had gone in for more help while I was a student,” Schnaderbeck said. “Now that I’m revisiting my resume (as a graduate) I wish I had gotten more help from them when I was here.”

Employers from different professions will be available at the fair and are grouped by the day. Tuesday, Sept. 11, will have employers from disciplines focused on health and wellness, social services, education and criminal justice. Wednesday Sept. 12 will have employers from management, finance, agricultural business, liberal arts and marketing. Thursday Sept. 13 will focus on science, technology, agriculture and environment.

Senior Reporter Kate Simmons can be reached at news@collegian.com.