8 Basic and 7 Professional Proofreading Tips

Sponsored Content:

Proofreading is reviewing a piece of text to check for grammar, language use, and format. It is the last phase of a proper writing procedure, and it ascertains that an article, say, an essay, is flawless and logical. It is always essential to proofread since it boosts the overall grade and coherence of texts. If you are a student who wishes to get into any top US universities, you are undoubtedly ready to send applications. To increase the chances of submitting a successful college admission request, you need to hand in a well-proofed essay. Here are eight primary and seven professional tips for proofing your documents effectively.

8 Basic Tips for Proofreading Your Documents

With knowledge of proofreading basics, this task becomes as easy as it can get. Below are eight primary tips for proofreading your texts like a professional. By implementing them, you significantly enhance your text-reviewing process.

Put Your Writing Aside for a While

If time allows, the first thing you need to do is to step away from your text. Take a break, preferably a day, before getting back to work. This way, you get to clear your mind such that you are more objective when reviewing your writing.

Print Your Piece of Text

Many professional proofreaders consider it simpler to check documents if they are in printed, tangible form. Having a printed paper permits you to proof from anywhere and makes it straightforward to identify and track issues.

Read Out Loud

Reading your texts out loud is an excellent way of taking note of the mistakes in your writing. When you go through your content by heart, there’s a tendency to fill gaps and fix errors. In turn, you can end up skipping tons of mistakes in your work. When you read aloud, you validate every word and punctuation. Besides, it makes it easy to spot incorrect sentences. The text-to-voice feature on your PC is handy in this regard. It will dictate your text, making it simple for you to note typographical mistakes.

Comply with the Specifications

Writing as per the guidelines provided for your essay, formal letter, etc. is essential. To get everything right, have the specifications by your side when proofreading. Some of the things you can learn from the instructions include font, spacing, and so on.

Eliminate Extra Words

A good piece of writing has sentences that go straight to the point. Extra words, e.g., adverbs and adjectives, can water down the message. You need to check your writing for such extra words, as long as they do not add meaning to your content. Without proofreading, it is quite easy to miss accidental extras and repetitions. H3: Explain or Eliminate All Complex Words and Phrases Check that your utilization of particular terminologies and phrases is limited. If you use any problematic words, explain them well for the reader to comprehend. When simple terms can be used, do that.

Review Your Sentences

Another basic proofreading tip is the assessment of sentences. Your sentences should consist of subjects, verbs, and should provide an entire thought. Some of the things to eliminate are:

• Run-ons
  • Poorly-punctuated constructions
  • Incorrectly-structured sentences

Scrutinize for Consistency

Proofreading also entails scrutinizing for coherence in an article. It includes reviewing your work for things such as photo numbers, tables, etc.

7 Professional Proofreading Tips

Professional proofreaders, as at EssayEdge, are keen on the finer details in writings. If you wish to take your proofreading efforts to the next level, here are some things you need to do.

Read Sentences in Reverse

Noticing mistakes can be tricky if you’ve already gone through the writing several times. Your brain already has an idea of coming, so it is easy to fill up things. To overcome this situation, read your work in reverse. It means that you begin at the last sentence and work your way back.

Pay Attention to a Specific Kind of Issue

Look for specific problems in your writing as opposed to trying to identify all types of issues. Case in point, during the first round of proofreading, you could check for punctuation errors. After that, you can proofread your work for another issue, say, wordiness.

Start with the Major Problems, then the Minor Ones

To ensure an effective proofreading process, it helps to commence by checking for significant issues, e.g., plot, claims, and characters. After that, you can review your paper for the smaller ones:

• Misspellings
  • Incorrect sentences
  • Omissions

Doing this is essential since there’s no need to change spelling when you might need to delete an entire paragraph altogether.

Work on the Footnotes and Endnotes

Getting footnotes and endnotes right is often trouble. When proofreading your paper, pay particular attention to these. Start by increasing the font size to make the details legible. After ascertaining the everything is okay, switch back the typeface to the recommended nine or ten-point.

Remove Justification

Turn off the justification feature of when working on Word texts. When utilizing this layout, it is not possible to identify any existing spaces in your work.

Pay Attention to Syllables

By taking note of syllables in longer words, you will see if all sections are right. It’s pretty simple for you to ignore some syllables if you read terms fast and as wholes.

Go Through Your Work After Proofreading

The proofreading process should not introduce new mistakes in your text. Go through your work one last time to eliminate typos, missing letters, and so forth.

Final Thoughts

Proofreading your writing is the only way to ensure that you spot any mistakes and rectify them. In turn, you get to craft a quality, error-free text that conveys the message. If you cannot proofread your paper, you can always work with professional proofreaders.