How to Pick the Best Sunglasses for your Face Shape

By: Chelsea Evic

Do you ever have a hard time finding sunglasses that actually look good on you? Even popular trends such as the angular cat eye, the vintage round, or the classic aviator can look sleek and stylish on other people, but not as flattering on you. That is because everyone has a different face shape. Some frames enhance certain facial features better than others. It is key to determine whether your face is round, oval, heart-shaped, or square. From there, you can choose the perfect piece of eyewear to complement your facial features. This guide will help you to determine which style of sunglasses are best suited for your face shape.

Heart Face Shape

To balance out a heart-shaped face, it is best to choose sunglasses that aren’t too bulky. Frames that don’t come down too low past the cheeks and are wider at the top than they are at the bottom are ideal.

For women, the cat eye, browline, or aviator sunglasses would work well.

For men, the browline, retro square, and sport sunglasses would work best.

Round Face Shape

With a round shape, the width and length of your face are nearly identical. It is essential to pick frames that can visually lengthen your face, making it appear more narrow. Dark frames with a greater width are key.

For women, the cat eye, oversized, and square sunglasses are optimal.

For men, square, aviator, and retro square sunglasses fit well.

Square Face Shape

For a square face, a defined jawline, wide forehead, and wide cheekbones are all features you want to soften with your choice of shades. Choosing frames that are square or rectangular will overwhelm the outline of your face.

For women, round, aviator, and browline sunglasses would complement a square face.

For men, round, aviator and browline sunglasses are also well-suited.

Oval Face Shape

To keep the proportionality of an oval face, it is best to stay away from glasses that are too big. Try not to go for frames that are much wider than your face.

For women, aviator, retro square, and round sunglasses won’t overpower an oval shape.

For men, browline, round, and aviator sunglasses are ideal.