Why the Ukulele is a Worthy Instrument for Guitarists to Learn

SPONSORED CONTENT

For some reason two amazing instruments, the guitar and ukulele, have almost become an either-or choice, with the guitar claiming the role of ‘real’ instrument, and the ukulele pigeonholed as some kind of novelty wannabe.

This is a real pity, as not only are both very worthy, music wise, they can easily both become part of any music fan’s talent base. Here we look at some of the main reasons why all guitarists could benefit from learning to play the ukulele too.

Reason #1 – Learning to play the ukulele can improve your guitar playing skills

Surprised to hear that spending a couple of hours a day learning and playing the ukulele can make you a better guitar player? It is indeed the truth, and here’s why? For starters the restricted number of strings makes your playing more creative, and although learning new ways to make familiar sounds can be challenging it pays off in the long term.

Reason #2 – It makes it easier to learn chords

If you strive to be a more accomplished instrumental guitar player then playing the ukulele, with its different chords can help as switching between instruments means you can’t develop habits where you play chords without thinking. [Improved memory muscle!]

Reason #3 – You can practice pretty much anywhere

As the ukulele is so much smaller and more portable than a guitar you can take it pretty uh anywhere and maintain your playing skills.

Reason #4 – It broadens your musical repertoire

In general guitar players find it quite easy to learn the ukulele, so it makes sense to do it and then you can play two instruments instead of one.

Reason #5 – It adds depth and range to your musical choices

No matter how good you are at guitar there’s nothing that can play an amazing instrumental version of any piece of music like a ukulele can. Rediscovering music this way is a real joy.

Reason #6 – It’s a cheaper way to expand your skill set

If you are keen to upgrade your guitar you probably already know that the price tag may well be something you need to save for, but you can get a decent uke for a lot less – and satisfy your thirst for new but familiar horizons.

Reason #7 – It’s easier to learn with guitar experience

That’s not to say that learning the uke is really easy for everyone, but anyone with some guitar playing experience will generally find it much easier than someone without.

Reason #8 – It can boost confidence

If you are finding it hard going to make progress with the guitar it’s worth trying a ukulele for a while. Chances are you will be able to learn a fair number of new tunes really quickly, which is a great confidence booster.

Final Words

So to wrap it up – the ukulele is a distinct and fun instrument in its own right, and it makes an excellent second instrument for guitar players to learn and to play. To get yourself started check out Sound Chime – ukelele information.