Empowerment is sexy: Fort Collins’ Mystique Lingerie provides comfortable sex shop experience for women

The Scotch Pines Village Shopping Center off of Drake and Lemay has everything you could ever need: a vet clinic, a pizza place, a grocery store, an insurance agency and Mystique Lingerie.

one mannequin wearing lingerie inside store
A mannequin displays one of Mystique Lingerie’s many outfits. (Mackenzie Pinn | Collegian)

Mystique Lingerie, a specialty boutique with the goal of catering to women empowerment and comfort, is owned by businesswoman Rebecca Moon. Moon opened the store two years ago after moving to Colorado from Georgia, where she managed another adult store that ultimately inspired her to come to Fort Collins, create her own business and do things her way.

“I have always wanted to work for myself,” said Moon. “I am a very harder worker, and I like for things to be a certain way. I like for things to be very tidy and specific.” 

While working in the south, Moon said she felt shunned for her profession, but the Fort Collin’s community is far more welcoming and backs her vision of promoting women’s sexual empowerment. 

“Here, women are very liberated,” Moon said. “Here, women are like, ‘Yes, orgasms. Do it.” 

With the business in her hands, not only is Moon able to manage the efficiency of her business, but she is also able to determine its virtues. In the efforts to make an inviting and comfortable space for women to explore their sexuality and sexual health, Mystique Lingerie strictly carries products specifically for women and couples and evades from carrying products geared towards men’s pleasure that tend to objectify and degrade women. 

Lingerie inside store
Merchandise inside of Mystique Lingerie, located in Scotch Pines Village Shopping Center. (Mackenzie Pinn | Collegian)

“We want our customers to feel as though they can come in, ask questions, and leave with something beautiful,” said Kristina Iannone, an employee and project manager who has worked at the lingerie shop for over a year. “Our customers can come in and feel like they are talking to a friend when shopping for what they want.”

In accordance with creating a welcoming environment, Moon said a lot of work has gone into making sure Mystique Lingerie is a place of body positivity. According to Mystique Lingerie’s website, the boutique is stocked with the largest selection of lingerie in Northern Colorado from sizes small to 2XL.

“I get women who come in all the time who are just so unhappy with their bodies,” Moon said. “…It makes me sad to see people feel that way about their body because they are beautiful women.”

Moon said that it is hard to convince women that they are beautiful because their self-doubt is just in their mind, but she and her employees love to help customers find something tailored to their body shape that makes them feel good by suggesting various styles and pieces. 

“I want people to be happy, and, of course, I want to make money, but at the same time I truly want people to find something that works for them personally,” Moon said. “I don’t want them to buy something just because.”

We love working with other businesses that are owned by women and figuring out ways for partnership and cross-promotion. Because if they’re succeeding, and we are succeeding, and we are helping each other, it is just good for both businesses.” -Rebecca Moon, founder and owner of mystique lingerie.

For Iannone, helping women feel beautiful is the best part of the job.

“It is especially great for me when someone comes in and says, ‘I can never wear these,’
or ‘I don’t like this about my body,’ and then I am able to find them something that makes them feel
amazing,” Iannone said. “I get to make people feel good about themselves and that’s awesome.”

Along with inclusive sizing, Mystique Lingerie emphasizes age inclusivity, as well. When Moon looks for products to sell at her store, she keeps in mind products that would make mothers feel good, too.

“I was a single mom for a long time, and I know how hard it is,” Moon said. “Moms don’t always take care of themselves. They do not do things for themselves, so that’s important to me.” 

Moon said she hopes that the future of the boutique includes more in-store and out-of-store events. After hours, the shop hosts parties for customers to privately shop with their friends. Usually, these events are in collaboration with another Fort Collins women-owned business so that women can shop for lingerie and also indulge in other fun activities such as getting their eyebrows threaded or having a boudoir photo shoot.

Lingerie inside store

“We love working with other businesses that are owned by women and figuring out ways for partnership and cross-promotion,” Moon said. “Because if they’re succeeding, and we are succeeding, and we are helping each other, it is just good for both businesses.”

Janel Matthias, photographer and owner of Soulful Images Boudoir Photography, collaborated with Mystique Lingerie during these after-hour festivities. During the start of her own business, Matthias remembers reaching out to Mystique Lingerie and the positive experience of combining clientele for a party.

“Rebecca was professional, warm and full of information about the boudoir community in Fort Collins,” Matthias said. “It was a bonding experience for the ladies and they came away with amazing outfits for the photoshoot. Rebecca has these clients for life, including me.” 

Mystique Lingerie will be collaborating with other Fort Collin’s businesswomen Georgia Michelle Yoder, Casey Jagoras and Sierra Crow on May 19 for their EMBRACE Ladies Night, an event where attendees can gain tips on make-up, boudoir posing and hair while they shop for lingerie. The event is for women, by women, and aims to create discussion around how they can embrace their body to feel good inside and out.

Mystique Lingerie is located on 2601 S Lemay Ave.

Moon said that when she looks for partnership with other businesses owners, it is a high priority that they share the same visions of prioritizing sexual health and openness to sexuality that breaks the stigma around normal, healthy things surrounding women’s pleasure and their bodies. 

“It’s your body, and you have needs and desires,” Moon said. “There are a lot of things that people are interested in that are healthy, but they don’t talk about it because they feel uncomfortable. I just don’t think it should be that way…It’s like women aren’t supposed to enjoy eroticism, they aren’t supposed to enjoy their bodies, but I think yeah, you should. You should be able to. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

Collegian reporter Miranda Moses can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @mirandasrad.