4 Old Town events to awaken the holiday spirit

As signs of winter start to show, Old Town transforms into a holiday wonderland.

With so many fun and inexpensive events, even the “Grinch-iest” of people will find something to get them in the holiday mood this season.  

Holiday lights are lit in Fort Collins
The seven blocks that make up Old Town Fort Collins are ceremoniously lit on Friday, November 3rd 2017. The streets of Old town will be lit every night starting from the 3rd of November until Valentine’s Day. {Abby Flitton | Collegian}
  1. Annual Holiday Spectacular Concert

Griffin Concert Hall, University Center for the Arts

Sunday, Dec. 2 at 4 p.m. Matinees at 2 p.m., Dec. 5

This annual concert displays all the hard work that the music department has out in all semester. Plus, all the proceeds from tickets, which are $10, go back to Colorado State University students through music scholarships. Not only is this event a great way to celebrate the season, but it helps support the music program as well.

2. Gardens of Light at The Gardens on Spring Creek

2145 Centre Ave. Fort Collins, CO 

Every evening 5-9 p.m., Dec. 1, 2018 – Jan 1, 2019

The Spring Creek Gardens will host a wonderland of lights Dec. 1 and Jan. 1 and many community members come to witness their beautiful holiday tradition. Watch as the garden is illuminated with thousands of LED lights, and enjoy special events on the weekends. A $5 donation is encouraged, but no matter how much you can pay, anyone can come and enjoy this festive light show with children and family.

3. Tuba Christmas

Oak Street Plaza, Old Town Fort Collins 

2-3 p.m., Dec. 8 

Nothing says Christmas more than 40+ tubas blasting classic carols into your ears for free, and that is exactly what this Tuba Christmas is about. People will gather at the Oak Street Plaza Park Dec. 8 to witness a true Christmas miracle, that so many tubas and euphoniums can be in one place at a time. The musicians will be under the direction of acclaimed bandleader Cecil Gutierrez.

4. Colorado Maker’s Market

Northside Aztlan Community Center, 112 E. Willow Street.

Noon- 5 p.m., Dec. 9

People can finish holiday shopping and support local vendors and makers Dec. 9 at the Aztlan Community Center for their annual market. This event seeks to gather Coloradoan creatives and unite the community over gifts and giving. This is a good opportunity for gifts made by local people for your family and maybe leave with a little something for yourself too.

Lauryn Bolz can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @laurynbolz.