Daughters plays sold out show at Larimer Lounge

Daughters is back in hell where they rightfully belong, and they’re taking you with them.

The Rhode Island rock band returned to Denver after a nine year hiatus. They are currently on tour in support of their new album, “You Won’t Get What You Want.”

The band came out classily dressed in black dress shirts and vests. They prepared the audience for battle by opening with the second track off their new album, “Long Roads, No Turns.”

Fans who thought they would never have a chance to see Daughters were overjoyed, singing (or yelling might be a more appropriate word) along to every word from the new album that came out only three weeks ago. Vocalist Alexis Marshall hovered over the front row and held members of the crowd’s hands through the performance. When he wasn’t engaging with the audience, he would swallow his microphone or beat it aggressively against his head. The wounds on his forehead got larger as the show went on. The bright red blood glistened in the lights.

Guitar player Nick Sadler made his chaotic guitar playing look easy, his hand moving quickly up and down the fretboard creating the high pitched, dissonant chord progressions while fixing his gaze in the audience without missing a note.

The setlist was primarily songs from “You Won’t Get What You Want” and their 2010 self-titled album. “Satan in the Wait” is a hauntingly beautiful and melodic track from the new album, but seeing it live is a whole different world. Both guitarists seemed in their natural element on top of Marshall preaching, “This world is opening up,” repeatedly. They played a few classics from their 2006 release “Hell Songs” including “Daughters Spelled Wrong,” of course.

To their surprise, the show Thursday night at Larimer Lounge was sold out along with every other show on Daughters’ tour.

“I don’t think we ever really grew a crowd in Denver until now,” said Sadler. “There’s a lot of cities like that now that people are buying tickets to. It’s blowing out typically in those town that we did not do very well.”

Call them grindcore, math rock, metal or noise rock, it is useless to try to classify Daughters as one specific genre.

“It seems like a waste of time to even attempt to attach us to a genre,” Marshall said.

“I agree with Alex,” Sadler said. “It’s kind of like everything and whatever it is that folks feel like calling us is fine. We aren’t particularly interested in any one thing.”

“You Won’t Get What You Want” has gotten rave reviews since its release late last month. The band has not really had a chance to wrap their heads around its success while being on tour and not having much contact with the outside world.

“I think, especially right now, on the road, we have no contacts. We live in a vacuum essentially where we’re just in here together, and then we get emails and phone calls from management and labels telling us what’s going on and where it’s charting,” Marshall said. “I guess that means something. I don’t know. I live in a van with six or seven other people.”

The album is a more organic approach to songwriting than their past records partially due to Sadler’s project writing scores for films and making music for web design and commercials.

“When we first started writing, we cycled through all these different approaches and on my end specifically, it just suddenly dawned upon me that I shouldn’t fight against the stuff that I’m interested doing in my personal life and that I have been doing,” Sadler said. “Once I started to let my guard down a little bit and just let the scoring aspect sort of appear in our music, I personally started feeling much more motivated and inspired.”

Daughters returns to Denver on Mar 5 at Gothic Theater.

Jonny Rhein can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @jonnyrhein.