5 interesting classes to take during spring semester at CSU

As students prepare for winter break in less than five weeks, they should also be mentally preparing for a new semester of classes. For students dreading the upcoming semester, there may be a few classes that will spice up their studying time.

clark building
The Andrew G. Clark building is located at the center of the Colorado State campus and provides a place for thousands of students to take classes as well as providing offices for many staff members. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

Here are five classes that students should look into for spring semester.

SPCM 350- Evaluating Contemporary film

3 credits

Pre-requisite: none.

Your fifth-grade self would fume if they knew you were passing up on an opportunity to watch movies in class. SPCM 350 offers an in-depth analysis of popular blockbusters, independent and micro-budget films. On top of that, the weekly lab consists of watching movies of different genres, from Tommy Wiseau’s hilarious disaster “The Room” to Jordan Peele’s critically acclaimed “Get Out”.

ETST 300- Queer Studies and Women of Color

3 credits

Pre-requisite: none.

All students, regardless of their major, should strive to have some experience in ethnic studies. Intersectionality, an incredibly important and relevant issue today, is emphasized in ETST 300- specifically regarding women of color and their contributions to LGBT studies, art and written works.

HORT 328 – Interior Plantscaping

3 credits

Pre-requisite: BZ 120 or HORT 120.

Everyone loves houseplants. Interior Plantscaping trains students on the science behind why we adore little cacti and succulents. In HORT 328, students can learn how to build terrariums, start your own indoor plant business, and build green walls!

The Horticulture center provides plants for many community projects, including the Annual Trial Gardens. (Collegian file photo)

PSY 121- Health and the Mind

1 Credit

Pre-requisite: none.

As school, work and social life get more and more difficult to balance, students can often forget the importance of putting self-care into the mix. Though PSY 121 doesn’t focus on self-care, it does focus on mental health and how people can maintain a positive mental state.

MU 232- Soundscapes- Music as Human Practice

3 credits

Pre-requisite: none. 

Music is an integral part of cultures all across the globe. MU 232 explores this by delving into the theory of music and how it has both impacted and been influenced by the human condition. Students from any major who love music can take this course for a more refined understanding of the art form.

AGRI 116 – Plants and Civilizations

3 credits

Pre-requisite: none. 

Ever wonder why there is only one kind of banana in grocery stores and dozens of different apples? Plants and Civilizations unravel all the unique reasons why the foods we eat became the foods we eat. From coffee and tea to psychoactive plants – this course will change the way you browse the grocery store. 

More spring courses can be found at catalog.colostate.edu

Elena Waldman can be found at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @Waldmanelena.