5 ways to survive midterms this spooky season

It’s fall, which means people are looking cute in scarves, and soup is an acceptable meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Unfortunately, the change in season is also a signal for the spookiest part of Colorado State University’s semester: midterms. 

stressed student
Aleesha Bun, a freshman biochemisty major, deals with stress on a regular basis. Some ways she likes to unwind include hammocking and playing her ukelele. Photo by Olive Ancell | Collegian

With the looming burden of tests interrupting traditional binge watching of  “Hocus Pocus” every other day, midterms can put students in a discerning life or death situation in terms of GPA. While the stress may feel unavoidable, here are a few tips on how to survive the testing period.

1. Think about Thanksgiving.

Sometimes motivation is hard to find, so keeping thoughts of Thanksgiving food near your heart during this trying time can help. Perhaps equate academic success to homely prizes. For example, if you get 90 percent on a test, reward yourself with seven dinner rolls instead of your usual four. If you smashed that presentation worth 60 percent of your grade, even though you stuttered a little bit, reward yourself with four more servings of mashed potatoes. Everything is unarguably better when potatoes are involved, even studying.

Stanford University psychologist Robert Bjork suggests that simply moving to a different room to study could increase both your concentration and retention levels.

2. Check in with your friends.

Chances are if you feel like you are drowning, other people are too. Checking in with your frat brother who’s exclamations of “bro” have seemed a little faint lately or that one roommate who hasn’t come out of her room in five days is a simple way to take care of other Rams. There are multiple seats at a library table for a reason.

3. Be confident in your knowledge.

It has recently been pointed out by several adulty-adults that drinking six Monsters, and staying up for three days to binge study for a test is not exactly healthy.

While starting early and not procrastinating are ideal practices, this isn’t always a true reality for students, which may lead to excessive last minute cramming. If you are feeling delirious at 4 a.m. looking at stats flashcards, which  are starting to look like a first grader wrote them, it is okay to just go to bed. Let Jesus or any other higher being that you may believe in take the wheel and have confidence in the knowledge you attained throughout the semester from working hard. 

For tutoring help, the TILT building is open  8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday-Thursday with hours changing Friday through Sunday.

4. Let your bosses know what is up.

A lot of students have to work in order to pay rent and afford their education. Being a full-time student who also supports themselves to any degree is a combination destined for high stress. Letting your boss know that you are perhaps feeling delicate during this midterms season is not a weak or unprofessional thing to do. Communicate with them about scheduling, because at the end of the day many students are working to graduate. 

5. Buy fuzzy socks.

This will indisputably help. I don’t make the rules. 

Miranda Moses can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @mirandasrad.