What’s for dinner with Audrey: Lasagna dip is dope

Audrey Weiss

Lasagna Dip with three slices of toasted bread. (Audrey Weiss | Collegian)

Payday was Friday, which means I could eat like a goddess. For me, nothing feels swankier than a nice loaf of bread and a re-imagined lasagna dish to go with it. 

What’s for dinner: Lasagna Dip.

Sounds weird, but it is actually a delicious and nutritious meal: great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Ingredients:

1 loaf of French bread

$1.49

1/3 of a white onion

$0.75 each

2 cups marinara

$2.69 for jar (Classico)

1 teaspoon curry powder

$3.29 for 1.62 oz (Kroger)

2 large eggs

$2.99 for a dozen (Simple Truth)

2 slices Swiss cheese

$1.99 for 12oz (Kroger)

Salt and pepper to taste

Total: $13.20, before tax

Directions:

1. Start by heating your oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Warm about a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add salt and pepper to the oil as it heats.
  3. Dice your onion and throw into the pan. I like my onions a little crunchier for this dish, so I move them around a lot to keep them from overcooking.
  4. Add your curry powder and stir until the onions are a yellow color. Cook down for two minutes.
  5. Slice your bread and place on a baking sheet. Throw these bad boys in the oven until golden.
  6. Add your marinara. You should expect a lot of sizzling and steam here. Just be sure to keep moving everything around in the pan so your sauce doesn’t burn.
  7. Crack your eggs into the mix and pour some of the hot sauce directly on top to help them cook a little faster. Wait about a minute, and then stir around the egg yolks until the eggs are fully incorporated into the mix (not including the yolks).
  8. Tear up the cheese and sprinkle it on top. Stir until melted and break down your yolks, at this point. Serve steaming hot with a couple of toasted bread slices.

Bon Appetit!

Audrey Weiss can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @Audkward.