Tour de Corgi returns this September for another day of costumed cuteness

Franky, dressed as Yoda from Star Wars, attends the 3rd annual Tour De Corgi parade in Fort Collins. (Miranda Moses | Collegian)

For the fourth year running, an invasion of corgis is returning to Fort Collins on Saturday, Sept. 29. The annual Tour de Corgi will be taking place at Civic Center Park, culminating in a parade through Old Town.

Tracy Stewart, a Fort Collins resident, started the event in 2014. Similar to the other major city get-together: Tour de Fat, the Tour de Corgi has exploded in popularity over the past few years.

Every year, hundreds of corgi-lovers attend and bring their own lovely little dogs, and this year is unlikely to be any different.

Make no mistake, the Tour de Corgi is not for the faint of heart. Only the most shriveled-up blood pumping machines could potentially resist their charms, and even then it’s doubtful.

Puppy Love at Tour De Corgi (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

Corgis and their owners come together starting at 10 a.m. and register for the costume contest. At around noon, the parade will begin, making a wide loop through Old Town and returning to Civic Center Park.

During the costume contest, corgis are dressed up and threaten cuteness-induced mental shutdowns. Several categories will be held including ‘Cutest Couple,’ ‘Baddest to the Bone,’ and ‘Like Human, Like Corgi’. This year, each category will have its own time slot, which the organizers suggest will cut down time waiting in line. The contest will begin at 10:30 a.m.

The 4th Annual Tour de Corgi will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Sept. 29th at Civic Center Park in Fort Collins. The costume contest will begin at 10:30 a.m. and the parade will begin around noon.

Both attendees and corgi-owners are asked to purchase a $5 ticket online, which will be traded in for a wristband at the event. Children under the age of 5 are admitted for free.

Proceeds from the event will go to good causes. 4 Paws Pets Pantry helps families in times of financial stress to feed their pets, and the Wyoming Dachshund and Corgi Rescue help corgis and dachshunds to find homes across the region.

Graham Shapley can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @ShapleyGraham.