The most unique student clubs at CSU

CSU alumni Gabrielle Daley and Eric Grunsky took the floor by storm at the Swing Dance Society's 20th anniversary dance in the Grand Ballroom of the LSC Wednesday night. (Photo credit: McKenzie Coyle)
CSU alumni Gabrielle Daley and Eric Grunsky took the floor by storm at the Swing Dance Society’s 20th anniversary dance in the Grand Ballroom of the LSC. (McKenzie Coyle | Collegian)

With over 400 student organizations and clubs on campus, nearly every hobby, interest, and passion has a place. There are religious groups, volunteer organizations, cultural clubs, and sports teams. Greek life is very present on campus, as well as career coalitions, residence hall communities, dance societies, language clubs and political parties – there is even a quidditch team.

Whatever your passion may be, there’s a club waiting for you, filled with like-minded individuals. Getting involved means making friends and building community, all while having a great time.

1.  Boggart’s Quidditch Club

Harry Potter fans rejoice.

This club gathers to play Muggle Quidditch, the popular wizarding sport adapted for the less magical among us. This full contact sport pits teams of seven against each other. Zip around the intramural fields chasing the snitch (a non-partisan referee in a pair of gold shorts) with a broomstick between your legs.

The group is a member of the International Quidditch Association and plays in tournaments both locally and around the nation.

2.  Food and Fermentation Science Club

Ever wondered how to make homemade Kombucha? Do you even know what Kombucha is? The Food and Fermentation Science club might be worth checking out then.

This group explores the art and science behind food. Club events include trips to local breweries and food production facilities. Regular meetings include listening to guest speakers in the industry and making small batches of food and beverages.

3.  Swing Dance Society

Dedicated to the return of the Big Band Era of song and dance, this organization can often be spotted twisting and jiving on Wednesday evenings in front of the LSC. No partner or experience is necessary to join, only an open mind and a willingness to “kick up your heels”. Learn the Lindy Hop at the free lessons, often provided before the weekly social dance.

Bonus points for coming attired in a fedora or flapper dress.

4.  CSU Smash

Looking to hone your skills as Fox, Mario, or Captain Falcon? Look no further than CSU Smash, a club dedicated to building the community of gamers playing Nintendo’s famous party-fight game Super Smash Brothers. Meet up in the Behavioral Sciences Building on Wednesday nights to play the original Nintendo 64, Gamecube, or Wii versions. Bring your A-game and best combos, because these characters come to brawl.

5.  CSU Fencing Club

Modern day swordplay. Open to all skill levels, this club promotes and practices the sport of fencing. Friendly competitions and practices are held every other week and equipment is provided. Put on your jacket and fencing knickers and don your mask to see if you have what it takes to be successful in this most ancient sport.

6.  Dead Poets Society

The Dead Poets Society’s goal is to foster creativity and a sense of community through a shared love of poetry. Bi-weekly meetings begin with a creative writing workshop and end with members sharing some of their original works. Occasional guest speakers, poets, and authors also share their works and wisdom. 

7.  Humans vs. Zombies

Welcome to the largest ongoing game of tag on campus. A few people are chosen to be zombies and attempt to “infect” the rest of the players in order to turn them into more zombies. Humans can protect themselves with nerf guns and sock “grenades.” Build your imagination and fitness by fending off the undead.

8. CSU Apiculture Club

Calling all perspective beekeepers. The Apiculture Club specializes in hands-on beekeeping and education about the importance of these pollinators. Members can suit up in the club’s beekeeper attire to care for their hives of Italian honeybees. There’s potential to harvest some of the honey produced this year.

Collegian Arts and Culture Reporter Cody Moore can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.