The Center for Fine Art Photography offers classes to local high schoolers

The Center for Fine Art Photography is offering a camp to let people ages 13 to 18 get their start in photography.

“We try to try out as many different genres in photography as possible,” said Meg Salazar, who instructs the photo camp, has taught photography at the high school level for six years, and established the arts program at Liberty High School. “That way they can find their vision and what they want to pursue in photography.”

Kaija Scheuerman, Jacoba Stauffer and Ben Sunset capture a scene that was created by one of their fellow students using random materials. (Photo Credit: Chapman Croskell)

The Center offers two camp sessions. The first ran from June 21 to June 30 and focused on the basics. Salazar said that the students in that course learned all about aperture, shutter speed and ISO. The students were even able to create their own cameras during the basics camp, and the website advertised the camp as a way for students to “break free from ‘auto mode.'”

The second camp, which started on July 12 and runs through August 30, teaches more advanced photography.

“We really try to expose them to as much of fine art photography genres and techniques as possible,” Salazar said. 

Salazar said that in the second program, students learn about the history of photography and hear presentations from professional photographers like Michael Borek. The students also participate in activities to learn more about the art, such as sketching scenes for the others to shoot and experimenting with cyanotype printing, which was a favorite of the students.

“I’m doing a lot of things I’ve never done before,” said Kelsey Nelson, a 16-year-old student at Poudre High School who said that she has been shooting photography since she was five.

Barbie Wittenberg and Meg Salazar work with the students to improve their photography abilities. (Photo Credit: Chapman Croskell)

This is the first summer that the Center has offered this camp, and Salazar said that it has been very successful in its first run.

“They all have such a good eye for composition and an idea of what they want,” Salazar said.

She shared that the students in the second class are required to have a basic understanding of photography, and that many of them exceeded her expectations.

“It’s really pushing me to find interesting things around me,” said Kaija Scheuerman, a 17-year-old student at Poudre High School. “I like how it forces us to appreciate the process.”

Scheuerman said that she started photography doing a project in middle school, and that she’s hoping to pursue a career in either photography or photojournalism when she grows up.

Salazar said that she hopes to continue with the program in the future. More information can be found on the Center’s website.

“It’s excellent what the students are creating,” Salazar said. “It’s wonderful to have such a diverse perspective from the kids.”

Collegian Social Managing Editor Chapman W. Croskell can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @Nescwick.