Five travel essentials for summer vacations

It’s that time of year again to go on a vacation and experience new things in life. But while taking a trip may be a great idea, the experience can turn into a less than satisfactory one if you forget pack some essential items. Here are five travel essentials that you may not think are worth packing, but will definitely come in handy.

1. Toiletry Items

I know it seems very obvious, but you would be surprised with how many people actually don’t pack their toiletries. While a lot of places do offer items such as shampoo or body soap, they do not always provide items like toothbrushes. Even if a hotel does provide toiletry items, it is a good idea to bring your own anyway. You don’t want to take a chance on being allergic to a product or the hotel being out of stock.

2. Protective and Safety Items

Protective and safety items like sunscreen, bug spray and a first aid kit are also important items to pack. Many people think that they don’t need sunscreen because they don’t get sunburns. But the purpose of sunscreen is not only to protect your skin from sunburns, it is also to help prevent skin cancer and slow down your skin’s physical aging process. No one is immune from skin cancer or aging, so do yourself a favor and pack sunscreen. As for bug spray, it is a good item to have since bug related viruses are easy to catch during the summer, not to mention that being itchy is simply unpleasant. And the first aid kit is just a good item to have in case of emergency.

3. Money Pouch

If you envisioned a giant sack with a big green dollar sign on the side, then I am sorry to disappoint because that is not what I am talking about. This money pouch is a thin pocket you wear on the inside of your pants. It’s like a hidden fanny pack. This is important to keep your valuables safe. We all wish the world had nothing but amazing and trustworthy people, but that’s just not the case. When travelling, you become a tourist, and tourists are seen as easy targets to steal from. A money pouch can hold your money, cards and ID so that you can enjoy the sights without worrying about your valuable items. 

4. Camera

You’re out doing your own thing in an amazing new place, so why not document it? Pictures can hold so much meaning, and they can serve as free souvenirs. This one may seem kind of silly, but memories can be very precious, and you don’t want to forget them.

5. Comfort Items

While traveling can be exciting and adventurous, it can also cause a lot of anxiety. There are many ways to cope with anxiety, but bringing an object from home that gives you comfort is an easy and helpful solution. Having something that smells like home or something that you use to wind down can make the trip so much more enjoyable. Even just bringing your closest friend or relative can make the biggest difference in how you feel while travelling.

Traveling brings great experiences, so go out and seize every opportunity you can to explore somewhere new. Just remember to pack these essential items so that you can leave your worries behind and have fun.

Collegian Arts and Culture reporter Alaysha Powell can be reached online at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter at @alaysha_powell.