5 shows to binge watch on Netflix this summer

Netflix has a barrage of movies and TV shows to watch that can make the hours melt away. Instead of melting away in the blistering sun, pass the time in the cool indoors by watching these five shows on Netflix. 

1. Person of Interest

Photo Courtesy- wikipedia.org
Photo Courtesy- wikipedia.org

Currently on its final season, “Person of Interest” is directed by J.J. Abrams, the director of “Star Wars The Force Awakens,” and his company Bad Robot. “Person of Interest” is a unique show that focuses on crime prevention in the widely popular science fiction thriller “Minority Report.” “Person of Interest” deals with the issue of stopping crime before it happens through surveillance of an Artificial Intelligence known as The Machine. The show’s plot evolves into a battle between two rival AI’s that each seek to control the population. One wishes to enact mass surveillance of people to control the world and the other wishes to save lives. The show brings up the question of whether privacy or protection is more important or if they are one in the same. Start binge watching this now because the series finale is on June 21. There are only 101 episodes to date.

2. The Office

Photo Courtesy: nbc.com
Photo Courtesy: nbc.com

Although “The Office” is an older show that has ended, it will always remain a timeless and classic comedy. “The Office” can be streamed on Netflix and will provide you with a daily dose of laughter and amusement. “The Office” is the most lighthearted show on this list and can be used as a comedic relief in between the other shows. 

3. Dollhouse

Photo Courtesy: wikipedia.org
Photo Courtesy: wikipedia.org

“Dollhouse” is a two season science-fiction show directed and written by Joss Whedon, the man behind the Avengers movies and “Firefly.” “Dollhouse” is a phenomenal and unique show that just could not last like “Firefly” because of its odd story and plot. Also, TV networks were very wary about it at the time because they feared failure and had concerns over how to market the show. “Dollhouse” stars Eliza Dushku who plays a “doll” named Echo that lives within a government facility known as the Dollhouse. Echo and her friends can assume any persona that is uploaded into their brains, which are in accordance to their wealthy client’s demands. The show deals with the issue of the morality of the Dollhouse and how the Dollhouse can provide the perfect person for their clients. “Dollhouse” is both odd and intriguing and definitely worth the watch. Start by watching the first episode or two, and then decide if it is worth the time to binge. 

4. K (K Project)Photo Courtesy- wikipedia.org

Unlike the other shows on this list, “K” or “K Project” is a Japanese Anime that consists of two seasons and a movie. The first and by far the superior season is available to stream on Netflix. “K Project” is a short 12 episode season that tells the stories of seven kings who are the leaders of their own clans. A king grants his power to his clansmen, and these chosen people have different powers according to which clans they’re in. Season one revolves around a high school student named Shiro who runs an errand for one of his friends that has him leave the school on the private island to the city. Season one’s story unfolds much like a suspense thrillers. More information is revealed in each episode and the season ends with a cliff hanger. As Shiro enters the city, he is attacked by the Red’s clansmen and their king for murdering one of their fellow clansmen. With no recollection of the events or of who he even is, Shiro is left to fend for his life and try to piece together the memories he has forgotten.

Photo Courtesy- flickr.com
Photo Courtesy- flickr.com

5. The Seven Deadly Sins

The final show to binge watch on this list is also an Anime, but unlike “K-Project,” “Seven Deadly Sins” can be a great intro anime to attract new anime watchers. Perfectly combining a blend of action/story, romance and comedy, “Seven Deadly Sins” is by far my favorite anime and favorite show on this list. It is a fantasy/adventure story that takes place in Medieval times. “Seven Deadly Sins” begins 10 years after seven knights, who were more powerful than all knights combined in the kingdom, betrayed the kingdom known as Lionas. A young princess goes on a quest searching for the traitors known as the Seven Deadly Sins to aide her in freeing the capital from the Holy Knights, who swore to protect it and ended up starting a war known as the Holy War. 

Collegian A&C Reporter Connor DeBlieck can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @CDeBlieck1995.