Clarissa’s Self-Cares: 10 ways to reduce end-of-the-semester stress

Clarissa Davies

As the end of the semester rapidly approaches, final projects and responsibilities pile up in a frighteningly fast manner. With plans for the summer and the complexities of life occupying your thoughts, we must remember to take care of ourselves first and foremost. If you’re feeling stressed, tired and in need of a break, try the following:

1. Go for a walk or a drive somewhere where there are not many people.

via GIPHY

Go for a walk to clear your head and get fresh air. Walking also boosts your mood because it releases endorphins while helping circulation and boosting oxygen supply throughout your body. Just get outside — somewhere with nature and free from distraction.

2. Don’t lie in your room.

via GIPHY

When you lie in your room, you brood. Don’t brood; it’ll breed bad thoughts.

3. Go out for a drink or to coffee.

via GIPHY

Try getting coffee somewhere you haven’t been before and support local businesses.. Meet up with a friend. It’s OK to take a break.

4. Drink water.

via GIPHY

Did you know that if you aren’t drinking enough water in a day, your body increases its cortisol levels? Cortisol is a stress hormone. Your body needs enough water to function properly, so drinking around 64 ounces in a day will make a positive difference.

5. If you have to study, do it in a new location.

via GIPHY

Know that you’ll get your work done. Be sure to make enough time for sleep.

6. Call someone to talk.

via GIPHY

You aren’t alone, and someone cares about how you are doing.

7. Go to the gym.

via GIPHY

It’s true: exercise lowers stress. If you aren’t a gym junkie, there’s classes offered like yoga, kickboxing and more. Oh, and the CSU Rec Center offers massages.

8. Watch your favorite movie or read your favorite book.

via GIPHY

Did you know that watching your favorite movie releases endorphins that make you feel stable and happy? This goes for books and TV shows, too. In essence, it’s truly comforting to bask in anything that’s a favorite of yours.

9. Look beyond the present.

via GIPHY

Your future holds exciting things. What can you look forward to now? It can be small, or it can be monumental. It’s been said that looking forward to things is a key of happiness.

10. Take a hot bath or shower.

via GIPHY

Hot water will relax your muscles, and a hot bath or shower before bed warms your body’s internal temperature. When you get out of the warm water, your internal temperature drops, releasing melatonin. Melatonin helps you fall (and stay!) asleep.

Gifs courtesy Giphy.com. 

Collegian A&C Reporter Clarissa Davies can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @DaviesClarissa.