Six reasons why it’s worth going to a midnight premiere

Night owls rejoice for the viewing of midnight premieres. The idea of a midnight premiere and all of the glory that goes along with it has been around since the original “Star Wars.” It’s almost a tradition, a rite of passage, one of the first times you’re parents let you stay out past your curfew. 

Here are top six reasons you should go to a movie’s midnight viewing: 

1. Snacking

Waking up in the middle of the night and sneaking into the kitchen for a midnight snack is something many are ashamed of. But with the midnight premieres of movies, you are now surrounded by like minded people who also need the buttery popcorn fix at 1 in the morning. It’s nice to be surrounded by understanding peers without being judged.

2. Memories 

Making this a memorable night is all in your hands. Get a huge group of people together (tickets can be cheaper in groups) and dress up like your favorite character. I recently watched “Spectre” with some of my girl friends, and we all dressed up like bond girls to make that night exciting. There may be tons of Katniss costumes there already but the “Hunger Games” fourth installment of the series will be a reason for you to add one more to the mass out pour of fans. 

3. The ability to focus

Another amazing reason to be surrounded by like minded people is that you know they are all there for the same reason you are: to watch the movie. There tends to be less people texting or talking during a midnight showing for the reason that they all want to pay attention. They probably weren’t dragged there by their girlfriends or younger siblings. You won’t be kicking seats to get people to be quiet and you can relax and enjoy the movie.

4. No spoilers

One of the worst things to encounter is spoilers, especially with all the social media we have in our pockets nowadays. But that next morning, after the premiere, you will be the one holding all the secrets of what really happens at the end and who dies. You won’t be casually scrolling through Facebook only to find out one of the biggest plot twists of the movie. You’ll already know what it is. 

5. Wait time

There’s no extra waiting. You won’t have to wait any longer to see you’re favorite book put onto the screen with real actors bringing the story to life. You’ll be one of the first to see it and this, if you’re anything like me, will make that little book/comic book nerd inside you very happy. 

6. To say you did 

Lastly, you can cross it off you’re bucket list. It is on my bucket list to see every midnight premiere of the “Hunger Games” series. I have so far and just need to one here in November to cross it off my list. That’s an accomplishment I’m desperately wanting to make. It’s easy to do and fun at the same time. 

Collegian Reporter Dallas Head can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter at @water4rams.