Tropical Smoothie Cafe is an easy-to-justify treat

Oftentimes, many of us find ourselves relying on coffee for breakfast, or even start our day with no breakfast at all. What if instead you knew of a place right next to campus that served amazing smoothies that were packed with fruits, vegetables and other nutrients? And what if they even served food, like sandwiches, salads and breakfast foods? Well, you’re in luck. Tropical Smoothie Cafe is but two weeks old, and they’re conveniently located on the corner of Laurel Street and South College Avenue, right across from Noodles & Company. I know the weather is colder and all anyone wants to gulp down anymore is a Pumpkin Spice Latte, but trust me, these smoothies are good. 

I visited The Tropical Smoothie Cafe the other night, and I realized that with its plain appearance on the outside, many of us would not think twice about going in. However, I’m here to tell you that it’s worth it. They have such a large menu of smoothies – from classic fruity ones to green superfoods packed ones to indulgent options. If you’re one of those folks who likes additional supplements, fear not, for they offer Vitamin C, Vitamin B12 (which is crucial for those who are vegan and vegetarian), soy, whey, fat burner, probiotic and more. Do you want a salad, a wrap or a flatbread? They have those too. Inside the spacious and airy interior, there is bright and colorful furniture, making for a breezy vibe. Not to mention the staff seems very friendly. 

I was feeling peckish when I went in, so I ordered the “Smoothie & a Half” which gave me half a sandwich and a smoothie, which was giant in size. They appear to only have one size of smoothie here. Anyway, I ordered the “island green” smoothie — spinach, kale, mango, pineapple and banana. Really good. IMG_4035I also ordered the turkey bacon ranch sandwich. This too, was also really satisfying.

My only wish was that it could have been bigger. It was a bit on the smaller end, and I am but a ravenous college student. The price was reasonable, too, but verging on the pricey side. A smoothie here is $4.99 and like I said earlier, one size. However, I can justify the price because many of us shell out $5 for Starbucks. 

Overall, I would rate this an 8/10 for convenience, good service, great food and great atmosphere. So, the next time you’re in need of a refreshing smoothie for breakfast or a snack, swing by the Tropical Smoothie Cafe. 

Collegian A&E Reporter Clarissa Davies can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @DaviesClarissa