Three s’mores recipes to sweeten your fall nights

Cody Moore and Matt Lawrence

Our friend Leana loves the moon, so you can imagine her excitement for the lunar eclipse Sept. 27. She called out to everyone on our floor to join a “Sunday Funday” where we would go up to Horsetooth and watch it by the reservoir. Our party celebrated the once-in-a-decade (or two) eclipse by roasting some food and sharing stories by an open flame. 

A few of us scavenged the beach for firewood, but every ten minutes, everyone would get together, whip out their phones, and take pictures leading up to the big moment. And, when the time came we saw it, large and round with a burnt orange tinge, a rich white cloud melted around it, and a dark cocoa valley below. All smooshed between two graham crackers. We’re talking about the Supermoon Eclipse s’mores we made, of course!IMG_2585

The mix of enthusiastic foodies, amateur astronomers and a roaring fire combined to make a batch of sweet and savory s’mores under the gaze of the blood moon. Sugary, salty, crunchy, fruity, toasty and, of course, gooey; these treats had it all. Although it will be seventeen years before the next blood moon, you can enjoy these delicious s’mores on your next cookout, camping trip or a “Twilight” movie night!

We tried several different combinations of the following ingredients. These 3 were our favorites. Feel free to mix and match to taste: 

Raspberry Dark Chocolate Cheesecake S’mores

Salty goat cheese pairs well with the fruity sweetness of the raspberries. Dark chocolate and hints of cinnamon finish this spin on the classic campfire treat.

You need: 

Honey Graham Crackers

Marshmallows (vanilla flavored)

Goat cheese (a soft chevre)

Raspberries

Dark chocolate (60-70% cacao)IMG_2583

Toast marshmallows over an open flame until lightly charred, but not burnt. While the marshmallows are roasting, spread two teaspoons of goat cheese onto one side of a graham cracker. Add a square of dark chocolate to the other side. Place both graham crackers near the fire or in a toaster oven to warm, but not melt, the chocolate and cheese. When the marshmallows are finished, add raspberries to the cheese side of the graham cracker. Layer marshmallow on top and finish with the chocolate side of the graham cracker. Squeeze together and enjoy.

Brie & Apple S’mores

Creamy brie cheese and tart apples combine to make a snappy s’more. Chocolate and caramel add a touch of sweetness.

You need: 

Cinnamon Graham Crackers

Marshmallows (vanilla or cinnamon flavored)

Apple, sliced into thin slices (1/8th of an inch; we used a Gala, but Honeycrisp, Macintosh or Granny Smith would also go well)

image2Brie cheese, warmed

Dark chocolate with caramel

Toast marshmallows over an open flame until lightly charred, but not burnt. While the marshmallows are roasting, spread two teaspoons of warmed brie onto one side of a graham cracker. Add a square of chocolate with caramel to the other side.
When the marshmallows are finished, add apple slices to the cheese side of the graham cracker. Layer marshmallow on top and finish with the chocolate side of the second graham cracker. Squeeze together and enjoy.

Strawberry Cookies & Cream S’mores

What doesn’t go well with nutella? Strawberries and a cookies & cream chocolate bar make for a decadent dessert.

You need: 

Honey Graham Crackersimage1-1

Marshmallows (vanilla flavored)

Nutella

Fresh Strawberries, thinly sliced

Cookies & cream chocolate bar

Toast marshmallows over an open flame until lightly charred, but not burnt. While the marshmallows are roasting, spread a teaspoons of nutella onto one side of a graham cracker. Add a square of cookies & cream chocolate bar to the other side. Place both graham crackers near the fire or in a toaster oven to warm, but not melt, the chocolate and nutella. When the marshmallows are finished, add strawberry slices to the nutella side of the graham cracker. Layer marshmallow on top and finish with the chocolate side of the second graham cracker. Squeeze together and enjoy.

Collegian Foodies Cody Moore and Matt Lawrence can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.