Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies exude warm fall vibes

(Photo credit: Zara DeGroot)
(Photo credit: Zara DeGroot)

Fall is upon us, and that means one thing: pumpkin everything — from coffee to candles to desserts.

As a huge fan of the classic chocolate chip cookie, any excuse to put a twist on the recipe excites me. And, because I’m already feeling the holiday cheer, I will divulge the recipe I use to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies — the best goodie to whip up on a fall afternoon.

This recipe was found on Sally’s Baking Addiction (bless you Sally). I’ve modified it a bit, and obviously you can alter it however your heart desires. I also doubled the original recipe, because one batch proves to be not enough. 

What you’ll need: 

• 2 sticks/1 cup of butter (salted or unsalted)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 12 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

What to do:

Melt the butter. Mix it with the brown and granulated sugars. Add in the vanilla and pumpkin puree, and mix until it is

(Photo credit: Zara DeGroot)
These cookies spice up your fall, using the delicious flavor of pumpkin to add to the tradition of chocolate chip. (Photo credit: Zara DeGroot)

smooth. Set aside.

In a larger bowl, add together the dry ingredients — flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. 

Add the two ingredient bowls together. Then add in the chocolate chips. Cover the dough and let chill for at least 30 minutes.

Once the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough into small-ish balls and place them interspersedly onto a baking sheet, and flatten the tops to ensure they spread while baking in the oven.

Bake for 9-10 minutes. If they’re in the oven any longer, they’ll dry out. 

Share them with all your friends so you don’t eat them all in one sitting because that is definitely a thing you can do. 

Collegian A&E reporter Zara DeGroot can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com, or on Twitter @zar_degroot