Netflix and Chill with C: October Edition

I admit – I’m kind of a big baby when it comes to horror films. However, I am writing about them this month for two reasons. One being that Halloween is coming up, and those nights where you gather your friends and purposely subject yourself to being scared can be quite fun. And two, I started warming up to the horror genre in high school, and with the right scary movie (looking at you, “Paranormal Activity”) I really like them.

I am not one to enjoy films such as “The Human Centipede” or even the “Saw” movies, so the following suggestions are a bit mellower. So gather your pals and blankets to cover your eyes and get watching! 

1. A Laugh: “Tucker and Dale vs. Evil” 

(Photo credits: Google Images)
(Photo credits: Google Images)

This is one of those movies that combines excellent humor and horror in the best way. It may be graphic at parts, but the whole premise of the film is hilarious. It’s about two harmless guys, Tucker and Dale, who are at their Virginia mountain cabin when they have run-ins with a group of annoying college kids, who are convinced that Tucker and Dale are hillbilly chainsaw killers who are trying to kill them. It’s a huge mix-up, but contains elements of a great horror film. This film has been described as a cult classic waiting to happen, and this couldn’t be more true.

2. My favorite horror film: “Grave Encounters”

(Photo courtesy: IMBD)
(Photo courtesy: IMBD)

This is my go-to scary movie. Abandoned mental asylums? Found footage? Scary doctors doing lobotomies? A group of memorable ghost hunters?! It’s a gem. 

However, it’s pretty predictable. Basically, it’s about a ghost hunting reality show that chooses to lock themselves in an abandoned mental asylum overnight so that they can film some good footage. You can probably assume what happens next. The thing is, this movie isn’t totally terrifying, and it’s essentially poking fun at ghost hunting reality shows while offering some good jumps and nervous anticipation. It’s totally tolerable, and if you watch it with a significant other or with a group, they will enjoy it. If you liked it enough, “Grave Encounters 2” is also on Netflix.

3. What I just watched: “The Taking of Deborah Logan 

(Photo courtesy: Wikimedia)
(Photo courtesy: Wikimedia)

This movie is about a group of documentary filmmakers who are making a movie on Alzheimer’s disease and its effects on people. They film Deborah Logan, an old and extremely frail woman who is a bit abnormal. Essentially, Deborah is actually possessed and different “footage” taken shows her doing really odd things – think scenes from “Paranormal Activity” – standing still and facing a wall for hours, getting out of bed and standing still on the stove in the kitchen, digging in the garden for hours at night, peeling the skin off her fingers and hands. It’s creepy done well, while still allowing you to follow the story with interest. The ending will have you audibly saying, “What?!” and is genuinely quite menacing and weird. 7/10 would recommend.

4. Classics: “Children of the Corn” and  “The Exorcist” 

(Photo courtesy: IMBD)
(Photo courtesy: IMBD)

These classics are on Netflix waiting to be watched. They’re the epitome of horror movies, and if you’re stumped on what to watch this Halloween season, turn to these. These ’70s and ’80s classics are the films that scared our parents. Thankfully, our generation is bit more desensitized, so give these a watch. If only they would add “The Shining” to Netflix…

5. Thriller, not quite horror: World War Z” 

(Photo courtesy: IMBD)
(Photo courtesy: IMBD)

If you’re looking for intensity, but not quite in the horror genre, there are always movies with zombies and end-of-the-world themes. These adrenaline-pumped movies always offer an enjoyable “edge of your seat” viewing experience. And who wouldn’t want to look at rugged Brad Pitt saving the world for a few hours?

Bonus: “The Green Inferno

(Photo courtesy: IMBD)
(Photo courtesy: IMBD)

If you’re looking to watch a scary movie in theaters, “The Green Inferno” is now playing. It’s about a group of western young adults whose plane crashes in the Amazon and they’re captured by none other than…cannibals! Reports say it’s pretty gruesome, but if you can stomach it, might as well go for it.

Collegian A&E Reporter Clarissa Davies can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @DaviesClarissa