Four unconventional ways to celebrate Halloween

Halloween parties, costumes and battling the end-of-October cold can get redundant year after year. Rather than following traditional ways to celebrate the holiday, think outside the box with these four unconventional Halloween ideas: 

Reverse trick-or-treating

Reverse trick-or-treating is a good way to celebrate Halloween in your residence hall, office or neighborhood. Basically, instead of going door to door asking for treats, you give them away. 

Before everyone heads out for their Halloween adventures, dress and up and surprise your neighbors and coworkers. Good treats include baked goods (because homemade goodies are just more heartfelt), packets of peppermint tea (to soothe the candy stomach ache later) or pieces of fruit (just to be sarcastic).

Reverse trick-or-treating is a good way to show a little sentiment and appreciation for those who regularly treat you to their presence.

Trick-or-treating for charity

Along the same lines as reverse trick-or-treating, trick-or-treating for charity is another way to put a humanitarian spin on this traditionally spooky holiday. Go door to door and ask people for their old pairs of shoes or clothes that they have been meaning to donate.

Then, once you have your stash, take it to a charitable organization to help the less fortunate. People are ready and waiting for you at their doors on Halloween night, so why not use the opportunity to give back?

Bring bags big enough to collect shoes or clothes and be sure to still dress up, because it wouldn’t be trick-or-treating if you didn’t. 

Old-timey mystery party

It was a dark and stormy night, when you invited all your friends to your house for an old-timey mystery party! Have all your guests dress up for the era of your choice, hand out roles to everyone, set clues in place, and figure out the mystery as you party. It’s a classy yet still sinister way to celebrate Halloween.

If you decide on the murder mystery, you could make the party even spookier by having someone play the ghost of the victim. 

Day of the Dead fiesta

Day of the Dead technically happens the day after Halloween, but don’t let that stop you from getting your fiesta on. This is the perfect way to celebrate Halloween for those who prefer chips and guac to candy. Flowers, hats, candles, bright colors and skulls are must-haves.

This kind of party also allows for awesome costume opportunities without the gore. Whereas most Halloween costumes representing skeletons are gruesome and bloody, Day of the Dead costumes let you get in the spirit without being gross. Just like the Calavera Catina, these undead are here to party.

Collegian Reporter Rachel Fountain can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @rachelcfountain.