8 TV shows from the ’80s that will always be classics

Though most of the people I’m talking to are 90’s kids, there may still be a few 80’s babies that can remember these TV shows. If you’re not from the 80’s and happened to miss this era of big hair and crazy colors, then here’s a sneak peak at what 80’s shows were the most memorable from the decade.

NBC-Miami-VIce-Keyart
(Photo courtesy: NBC)

1. “Miami Vice” (1984-1990)

Sun, cool cars, drug kings and suits that just scream “swagger,” what more could you want out of a detective show? Miami Vice follows Detective Crockett and Detective Tubbs, who go after the drug world of Florida. Today’s cop shows have tried to show the reality behind being in law enforcement; Miami Vice did nothing like that. They’re most remembered for their suits and interesting décor of their homes but the detective scene has never looked as classy and cool as then. The partnership of a dynamic cop duo is something that doesn’t get old and this show holds true to that idea. You can also watch full episodes on NBC.

(Photo courtesy: Wikimedia)
(Photo courtesy: Wikimedia)

2. “Dallas” (1978-1991)

Who shot J.R.? This question that held Americans for months until the next season had 90 million people tuning in to find out the answer. A simple story about an oil family from Texas was a soap that captured people’s attention. With a remake of the original (that aired for only 2 years between 2012-2014) is nothing like the original in its story line and the fact that it can hold on to you and make you want to watch to the very end.  If it drew 90 million Americans back in the 80’s, I’m sure it can draw more again.

(Photo courtesy: Amazon)
(Photo courtesy: Amazon)

3. “The Dukes of Hazzard” (1979-1985)

Turning the cops into the bad guys, the Duke Brothers usually had you rooting for the underdogs. The car is one that most people may recognize named the General Lee. They also made a movie about it in 2005 with Jessica Simpson as cousin Daisy. Any show that has a controversial car and a remake into a movie feature with countless memorabilia deserves a watch from the kids too young to remember where “Daisy Duke shorts” first came from.

4. “The Golden Girls” (1985-1992)

4 grandma-like ladies who just like picking on each other and Betty White is in it too. Tumbler has seen some meme’s on these ladies and this show is a “golden” comedy that we just don’t have today. Dorothy, Blanche, Rose and Sophia cause comedy to be something memorable, especially since The Queen of England used to watch the show and had the four main stars come to London to reenact some scenes.

(Photo courtesy: IMBD)
(Photo courtesy: IMBD)

5. “The A-Team” (1983-1987)

The 4 men who don’t like to play by the rules are something guys can get behind. Much like the movie remake in 2010 featuring Liam Neeson, this show focuses on different missions each week that require an almost “McGyver-esque” way of figuring out the solution to bad guys and how to properly break down a brick wall with their van. “I pity da fool” who doesn’t go back and watch this shoot-up show or doesn’t think it’s memorable in anyway.  

(Photo courtesy: IMBD)
(Photo courtesy: IMBD)

6. “Magnum, P.I.” (1980-1988)

Tom Selleck’s mustache. That’s a good enough reason to watch this show. The perfection that is his ‘stache is part of his character, Thomas Magnum, living in Hawaii as a private detective and is head security of a private estate. This show had been ranked in the top twenty for U.S. TV in its first five years and rightfully so. Any detective show may sound repetitive after a while, but this one always managed to keep viewers on their toes, even 30 years later.

(Photo courtesy: Wikimedia)
(Photo courtesy: Wikimedia)

7. “Mork & Mindy” (1978-1982)

Though this was a show in the early 80’s, it’s still one that should be on the list. Robin Williams stars as an alien named Mork, and had one of the most memorable scenes as him being a Denver Bronco’s cheerleader in an episode. Though it wasn’t highly ranked by critics, it’s a good watch for any Robin Williams fan, especially since it takes place in Boulder, Colorado. Yes, it’s not Fort Collins, but it could be worse right? The slap-stick humor that was Williams’ will always be remembered in his blockbuster movies, but this show proved he did well on the big and small screens.

(Photo courtesy: Wikimedia)
(Photo courtesy: Wikimedia)

8. “Cheers” (1982-1993)

Many TV shows today use a basic meeting spot for their main characters to discuss the on-goings in the show (How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement, Friends, etc.). But Cheers was one of the first. With most of its episodes occurring in a bar with the same name as the show, this show knew how to tackle serious issues well and in a way that didn’t offend any viewers. One of the most popular shows of the 80’s, being ranked No. 18 of best TV shows of all time according to TV Guide and one that has many replica bars designed after it, this show is one that deserves a watch from kids who missed out the first time.

Collegian Reporter Dallas Head can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @water4rams