Ask Aunt Aggie: What should I do after I graduate?

Dear Aunt Aggie,

AuntAggie
Aunt Aggie. (Illustration by Julio Becerril)

I’m so conflicted about what to do after college! Every day, graduation gets closer, but I don’t get any closer to making a decision. Should I go to grad school? Go straight into a career? Take a year to go travel and find myself? Or something totally different? I just can’t decide. All my friends seem to have found their calling. They have these great plans to go off and live their passion. I like my major, but I don’t feel like any of the careers in my field are really my calling in life. What am I supposed to do? The clock is ticking and I can’t seem to make a choice.

Sincerely,

Indecisive

Dear Indecisive,

That is definitely a rough situation. It is a big decision, and I know the mounting pressure doesn’t help. Let me assure you that you are not alone. We all worry about our futures at one point or another, and we all want to make the right decision the first time. I can’t tell you what the right choice is, but there are things you can do now to help you decide.

First of all, don’t let your indecisiveness keep you from exploring all your options. Just because you aren’t ready to commit doesn’t mean you can’t learn more about all the paths you could take. Utilize all the resources you can to learn more about possible grad schools, careers and employers. Also be sure to network within your field. Contact professionals to ask them any questions you have and learn about what a day in their life is like. Even if you don’t find your answer right away, you will be better prepared to make an informed decision later.

The people who care for you the most and know you the best can offer some great insight. Take your indecisiveness to your friends and family (and Auntie of course!) and ask them what they think you should do. You should by no means let them decide for you, but they may be able to point out things you haven’t noticed about yourself or options you haven’t thought of.

Finally, take advantage of this precious time to cultivate YOU. College is such a special time because it allows you to experiment with different activities and ideas that help you figure out who your are. Take time for hobbies, keep a journal so you can track your process and remember to just keep your eyes and ears open. Something may come around when you least expected!

So go explore, dear. No matter what you decide, I know you’ll do amazing things!

Much love,

Aunt Aggie

If you have any questions you need to get off your chest, email entertainment@collegian.com.