Ask Aunt Aggie: Parents and Homecoming

Dear Aunt Aggie, AuntAggie

My parents are coming up for the homecoming weekend, and I am freaked out of my mind. My room is a mess, my
 friends are crazy and I don’t know what to do with having this adult influence re-enter my life. I am used to being independent, and homecoming is a way for me to celebrate MY school, not theirs. Why do they have to come and what should I do? 

Please help, 

Complaining Child 

Dear Complaining Child, 

We tend to think of homecoming as a time to celebrate our wonderful University, welcome each other to campus and engage with the community. 

Parents can be crazy. (Collegian File Photo)
(Collegian File Photo)

For many students, however, this time is also full of drunken debauchery that parents tend to dislike. Indeed, after a crazy semester and midterms finally being over, this seems like a must-needed break. Alas, parents may seem to ruin all of this. So how can you make the best of this? 

1. Clean your room 

Even if your house and your roommates are messy, simply cleaning up your living space will help your parents feel comfortable about you. Never mind that your week has been stressful. Get rid of potential stress from parents by making your bed, folding your clothes (or at least hiding them in your closet) and vacuuming. These little things will take you 15 minutes and will make your living environment look exponentially beter. 

2. Introduce your parents to good people 

You have most likely (and hopefully) made some wonderful friends while attending CSU. Celebrating those people is what Homecoming is all about. Why not include your family in this celebration, and introduce your family to your friends? 

3. Show your parents campus 

Instead of allowing your family to feel overwhelmed by the University, take them around yourself, especially if they haven’t seen the place before. From traditional spots like the Oval to the more unique ones like your favorite classrooms, there are plenty of places to show off to your parents. 

Plus, if you’re over 21, they might enjoy the Skellar. 

4. Tell your parents the ups and downs of your semester 

If your parents are willing to visit you, then they love you enough to want to know the details of your life. Share with them what’s been hard and great about this semester. Not only will it be nice for you to get some outside perspective, they will appreciate understanding what’s going on with you. 

That’s about it. Ultimately, it’s up to you to have a good attitude about the festivities. Enjoy and Go Rams! 

Have a question to share with Aunt Aggie? Email the Collegian at entertainment@collegian.com.