5 healthy ways to keep sickness at bay

Dallas Head

The dreaded flu always seems to find at least half of the school when the weather changes. The flu shot is always an option, or the nasal-spray if needles aren’t your thing. But sometimes getting the flu shot isn’t possible if you’re already sick, so here’s some at home remedies to help get over being sick.

Neti pots are intimidating to say the least, but they actually work. When you first start to feel a stuffy nose or a sore throat, go to your local King Soopers or health food stores and pick up a neti pot kit. They usually run about $10-$15. The warm water and salt combination help to flush the bug out and can help to just cleanse the nasal passage.

Apple cider vinegar has many different uses for health, including hair health, whitening teeth and even sunburn relief. But detoxing the liver is another great reason to use it, especially if a bug is coming to you. When mixed with honey and warmed, it can also help with a developing sore throat. Simply taking a spoonful a day can literally help keep the doctor away.

The flu shot is one of the best ways at keeping the flu out of your system. Getting the flu shot as soon as possible is also a key factor. The sooner you get it, the less likely you are to get sick. The nasal-spray is also an option, unless you have heart problems or respiratory problems. Target and Walmart are among the cheapest for flu shots,
staying at about $25. Hartshorne Health Center on Colorado State University’s campus also provides the flu shot for $35. 

Eating a Greek yogurt, sauerkraut or taking a probiotic from your local vitamin store can reduce your chance of getting sick by about 27 percent. The good strains of bacteria in the food and probiotic help to keep the bad bacteria that can cause such a virus to attach to your body out of your gut.

Sleeping or resting during the day is a great way to keep your immune system up and running for cold/flu season. During sleep, your body rebuilds the immune system and creates T-cells, or cells that fight off foreign invaders. People between the ages of 18 and 25 should be getting seven to eight hours of sleep a night.

All gifs courtesy of Giphy.

Collegian Reporter Dallas Head can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @water4rams