Taylor Swift’s ‘1989 World Tour’ enchants Denver audience

[new_royalslider id=”369″]

Photos by Alyssa Rusco

Arguably one of the most influential and iconic female pop stars belted out hits from her 2014 album, “1989” on Saturday night at the Pepsi Center in Denver.

Taylor Swift, dressed in sparkly two-piece body suits, pranced around while the hordes of young girls, their mothers and me watched on in awe. Despite being a 20-year-old and preferring music more in line with artists such as Lord Huron, Halsey and even Jack Johnson, I could not contain my excitement. Coming face-to-face with Queen Taylor put my pre-pubescent self at peace – I have gone through eighth grade and high school listening to Swift’s albums like “Red” and “Speak Now” and now in college, hearing her sing some throwback songs at during her tour, such as “Love Story,“Fifteen” and “Enchanted,” was legitimately enchanting.

Despite her critics in her past years, Swift has emerged as a force to be reckoned with, and for many, it is easy to succumb to her charms. I believe this is due to continually revealing her raw self and taking advantage of her lyrical genius to transform feelings of revenge, hurt and love into words her mostly female-based audience can identify with. She also stands for female empowerment and possesses a firm belief in the power of female friendship. She is an icon in this way, and by simply introducing herself as “Taylor” last night and calling us her “friends,” it made for an intimate environment.

Her tour was quite a spectacle and had high entertainment quality. There were skilled background dancers, exquisite costumes, moving stages and audience interaction – we were all outfitted with wristbands that lit up with changing colors in coordination with the beat of the music. The thing about a concert such as this is it is not the place for a non-fan. They are created and executed with the fans in mind. It is the mecca for fans of pop music and especially for fans of Taylor. One would not go to this to “just check out the music.” It is an environment that drips with dedication, and Taylor responds to her loyal army by acting like an older sister and telling the audience that “they are not the opinion of someone who doesn’t know them,” and “you are not damaged goods.” She also encouraged us to “notice when we are happy” because moments are fleeting. In doing this, I believe it encouraged us to all soak up the magical night.

Overall, I had an absolute ball. However, she advertises the cameos of famous guests she brings out on stage with her at past concerts. Past celebrities include Fetty Wap, Julia Roberts and Avril Lavigne. In Denver, she didn’t bring out anyone.

I was right next to the stage and definitely made eye contact with Taylor and stared into her blue eyes and felt like a lowly worm. I was transported back to my 14-year-old self and enjoyed bouncing around and (badly) singing her lyrics right along with her. And, just as she said to do, I realized I was truly happy in that moment, and by recognizing this, it made everything much more memorable and captivating.

If you need me, I’ll still be on my Taylor high for the next month.

Collegian Reporter Clarissa Davies can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @Davies_Clarissa.