Tour de Fat comes to Fort Collins Saturday

Bikes and beer will be showcased this weekend at New Belgium’s annual Tour de Fat.

A city favorite, the bicycle parade will cycle through Old Town for the 16th time Saturday. Though it now occurs in cities throughout the country, the event originated in Fort Collins.

New Belgium set up an arena for excited Tour de Fat participants to zip around on quirky and fun bikes during the Tour de Fat Festival August 2013.  (Collegian File Photo)
New Belgium set up an arena for excited Tour de Fat participants to zip around on quirky and fun bikes during the Tour de Fat Festival August 2013. (Collegian file photo)

The events begins at Civic Center Park and will cycle along Mountain, to eventually return near the intersection of Meldrum St and Maple St, where artists Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds and Nahko and Medicine for the People will perform, in addition to other forms of live entertainment.

Awards for categories like best costume and best dancer will be given throughout the day. New Belgium will sell 11 beers at the event.

The official thrift store of Tour de Fat is Eco Thrift, where participants are encouraged to buy supplies for costumes. Overland Mountain Bike Club, Bike Fort Collins and Fort Collins Bike Co-Op partner with New Belgium to put on the event.

Collegian A&E Editor Hannah Ditzenberger can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter at @h_ditzenberger.