Concert preview: The Burroughs at Hodi’s Half Note

Fort Collins crowds will have the chance to get down to some of the summer’s newest soul this weekend as a regional band brings their sound to town.

Greeley-based soul band The Burroughs will be performing Friday at Hodi’s Half Note as part of a regional tour in support of their upcoming release of new music.

The album, the name of which has yet to be announced, will be available for purchase at the show before its planned release July 28, according to Johnny Burroughs, the band’s frontman.

“We want to make people feel good and excited with this new music,” Burroughs said.

The band, which will also be performing in Fort Collins on Aug. 15 as part of New West Fest, is no stranger to the local scene, the band’s percussionist, Mary Claxton said.

“Fort Collins is always great to play,” Claxton said. “There are always people out and about wanting to hear new music.”

The Burroughs were founded in the summer of 2013 by Burroughs and the band’s lead trumpet player Craig Basarich, Burroughs said.

“We had seen each other play before at different acts,” Burroughs said. “So we said, ‘Okay, you get some of your friends, and I’ll get some of my friends, and we’ll play a show.'”

Burroughs said their brand of “sweaty soul music” was so well-received at their first show that the group became official from that point on.

“Our number one rule is that if we’re dancing, you’re dancing,” Burroughs said. “We’re having a blast onstage, and we want you to have just as much fun too.”

The band aims to put on fun, exciting shows, and bring people together with their music, said Claxton.

“We’re all about community building and putting on a memorable show,” Claxton said. “We just want people to have a good time.”

With their new music just days from release, Burroughs said the band is excited to give local crowds when thy hit the stage Friday.

“The stage at Hodi’s is deceptively big and the people really know how to get down,” Burroughs said. “We want people to walk out sweaty and knowing life is good.”

Collegian Reporter Sean Kennedy can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com  and on Twitter at @seanskenn